Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: jet versus prop opinion please

fatboy
    I am considering purchasing a '89 Hardin Marine 19' with a Berkley pump. I have a friend with a dual motor Marlin that says pumps don't handel and turn well. Please give me feed back! Also anything I should look at before buying any fast boat. This will be my first hot boat so please advise...Mike

rivercrazy
    Jets turn very well. If you run in shallow water get the jet. If not get the prop.

DickDanger
    As a jet owner, I would say that there are a lot of positives owning a jet. Running in shallow water is a bonus (although watch getting TOO shallow, dont wanna suck anything into the pump), you dont have to worry about destroying a prop if you run aground on a sandbar, rocks, etc. Negatives? Props are more efficient, bottom line. Running the same 2 boats back to back, one with a jet, the other with a prop, the prop will spank a jet everytime. Just my .02. Good luck. -Dick Danger out

RiverDave2
    Originally posted by fatboy:
    I am considering purchasing a '89 Hardin Marine 19' with a Berkley pump. I have a friend with a dual motor Marlin that says pumps don't handel and turn well. Please give me feed back! Also anything I should look at before buying any fast boat. This will be my first hot boat so please advise...Mike
    If it comes down to just the turning aspect of things, Jet's don't turn all that great. However they are considered by most to be more fun to drive!
    I prefer driving a prop boat, becuase they turn on a dime with little or no effort and they are more efficient.
    However one of the most fun things I've ever done was blaze down the river zig zaggin in Froggy's Jet Ultra. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif Slippin N Slidin and with that foot throttle, just blippin the throttle and feelin the boat launch out of a turn was pretty cool. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
    RD

spectras only
    I don't know about you guys telling a prop handles better than a jet http://free.***boat.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif ,I had sterndrive as well as still have a V-drive besides my jet,but I outmaneuvre any sterndrive boat with my jet.The V-drive is the worst in handling [especially at idle speeds and rotational torque effect IN REVERSE ].Maybe I had my jet too long and comes second nature how to operate it.All I need is 1 foot front and back to turn around a 180 degrees,nuff said http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif
    [This message has been edited by spectras only (edited October 31, 2001).]

pgf127rt
    Spectra, I agree with you my 20' Gastron Carlson will do a 180 in the length of the boat and it will turn as good as most prop boats except a roundy racer flat, it has a rudder and if you don't forget to gas it' it will turn effortlessly, most new drivers of jets forget that when you turn a jet you cannot eliminate the thrust or it will slide straight at what you want to miss, and I am a flat driver.

572Daytona
    The type of hull has a lot to do with turning as well. My v-hull jet turns a lot better than my picklefork tunnel I have to agree with spectras though, I have 2 jets, an outboard and a sterndrive and I prefer the handling on the jet. There is no steering torque and no chance of prop ventilation. I have never driven a direct drive or a stern drive so I can't comment on the performance of those. There is a bit a learning curve to driving jets at low speed but once learned it is a piece of cake. I definitely wouldn't make turning the deciding factor as to whether or not to get the jet. What type of boat is your friends, I/O, Outboard? I've heard of Marlin boats before but the ones I've seen are single engine jets.

1quickjet
    Gotta agree with RD2. Like anything, they have their pro's and con's, but you just can't beat the "fun factor." Point and squirt has never been so much much fun. Er, well, you know what I mean. In my opinion, My buddy's 98mph prop powered Hallett, is not nearly as much fun as a 60mph jet. Again, just my opinion. Also, I don't like to chop up my drunk friends.

77charger
    Originally posted by DickDanger:
    [B Running in shallow water is a bonus (although watch getting TOO shallow, dont wanna suck anything into the pump), you dont have to worry about destroying a prop if you run aground on a sandbar, rocks, etc. Negatives ].
    I'll have to show you my job i did when i ACCIDENTLY ran over shallow water.I DESTROYED my pump impeller and shaft.ask rt jas about it he saw it when i got home.the bad part was that i just had the impeller reworked and cot to an ab-b+ and rebuilt the pump at mpdnoe it is all worthless.BTW thanks guys for recomending mpd he did a great job and the price was goo too will definitely be going back.

Bubbledeck2
    I can't speak for all jets, but mine turns pretty darn hard. I was screwing around one day, cranked the wheel, and threw my back seat passenger from one side of the boat to the other. Had it been a max effort turn I think she would have gone over the side. She will tell you that my jet turns!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast