Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Pump Mounting

BK
    Ok heres a pic of how I mounted my fuel pumps
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...0_0181-med.JPG
    Now I called Holley Tech today regarding another ? about these pumps and was also told they need to be gravity fed and are push only not pull pumps? I was unaware of this, my tanks feed from the top so thats not an option. I could lower the pumps below the outlet on top of the tank, think that would help any? Anyone running electric pumps that could tell me were theres are mounted or post pics of them, id appriciate it.

HBjet
    Question... Why do you have 2 pumps?
    As far as mounting, the most common I have seen with electric pumps is somewhere off the stringer. Usually on the right stringer just behind the motor, and the fuel filter is usually between the gas tank and pump, not after the pump.
    HBjet

BK
    Question... Why do you have 2 pumps?
    As far as mounting, the most common I have seen with electric pumps is somewhere off the stringer. Usually on the right stringer just behind the motor, and the fuel filter is usually between the gas tank and pump, not after the pump.
    HBjet
    Two pumps, one for each tank. I have a switch for each pump on the dash and seperate guages for each tank. Also if one goes out (ive heard that happens often with these pumps), I wont be stranded.
    Now mounting on the stringer to me seems sorta suspect? What if the pump fails and starts to leak from the seal? Wouldnt that be a problem compared to having it mounted up higher, mabey at the level of the tank outlet? Just asking ?'s to make sure I do this right. Thanks!

HBjet
    First off, make sure your fuel connections are tight and on properly. Second, if your fuel pump fails, how is it going to leak? It won't be running. Third, if your fuel pump does leak, I would want it in the bilge area, not over the batteries... even though they are covered.
    This is just my opinion with your setup... but I would put the filter before the fuel pumps because if there is anything in your fuel tanks, you want the filter to catch it, not the pump, which could cause it to fail.
    I run a mech. fuel pump and I run both of my tanks to a T, then the T goes to a high flow fuel filter, then to the pump, and so on.
    HBjet

Mighty Thor
    Dual fuel pumps aren't a bad idea, and seperate fuel systems let you see what is going on but I gotta agree that the filter should be between the tank and the pump. If the pumps are low down near the stringer that will probably solve the gravity flow issue cause you will have syphon effect that will pull fuel out of your tank and keep the filter and pump supplied. As for pump leaking, if it is gonna fail and leak it won't matter where it is mounted cause leaking won't stop it from running and thus pumping fuel out the leak. If you are worried about it you can put an emergency shutoff in the line that is either manual or they even have electric ones that will shut off fuel if the pump is not running. Lots of different ways of doing the same thing.

djdtpr
    Ok heres a pic of how I mounted my fuel pumps
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...0_0181-med.JPG
    Now I called Holley Tech today regarding another ? about these pumps and was also told they need to be gravity fed and are push only not pull pumps? I was unaware of this, my tanks feed from the top so thats not an option. I could lower the pumps below the outlet on top of the tank, think that would help any? Anyone running electric pumps that could tell me were theres are mounted or post pics of them, id appriciate it.
    BK ,thats pretty close to how i had mine set up in the PC when we were at the races that time you guys were there,it works just fine with those pumps.Are those the blues?I had some problems with those pumps getting hot but i ran a heavier gage wire to them and had them on a relay setup. and had no more problems.I also ran the two at thje same time then went to a t.I ran -8 from the tank to the pump then -8 from the pump to the t then -10 out of the t to the carbs and ran -6 to each bowl.Ho[e this helps ya.

flat broke
    I'm torn on this one. I side with Randy from the standpoint that the Holley pumps are tempermental and probably don't need junk fouling them up, as they go out pretty regularly on their own.
    On the other side of the coin, the tech told you right when he said they push better than pull. So having the filter in front of them is another restriction they have to pull through. As far as mounting them lower than the tanks... I.E. stringer, it is probably a good idea from the standpoint that at least you have some gravity feed or a possible siphon situation to help with their poor sucking capability. The downside as you menitioned, is that if there was a siphon condition and you had a ruptured line the tank could empty into the bilge. Personally, I say run a good Clay Smith Mechanical, but thats just me
    Chris

superdave013
    when I bought my schiada the pumps (old blue ones) were mounted just like that. But the filters were on the inlets.

PC Rat
    My Daytona has the filters mounted about where your pumps are at, and the pumps are mounted to the stringers (on the insides).
    Brian

jtmarten
    My Holley POS is currently mounted down next to the stringer on the transom. Filter between the tanks and pump.
    Holley's suck! Brand new pump last year and its dead. I'm waiting for a new mechanical which should be here early next week and its adios to the POS Holley! :hammerhea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast