Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Towing With Big Rims/Rubberbands

payloan
    Just thought I would try and see if anyone knows much about tires. I had the the whole truck thing with the lifts etc. and have now just bought a '05 Yukon and am shopping for some "Blings" I really want some fat 24" rims but don't know how wise it is to run back and forth to the river on "rubberbands". I do store the boat out there so towing would probably only be from storage to water and I'm sure a couple of trips back home for repairs and what not. I definately don't want to go anything smaller than 22", althogh 23" fill up the space perfectly the selection is not that big. Anyone have some info?

Havasu Hangin'
    I'd check the weight rating on the tires you want first (it will vary by size).

That Guy
    I have an 03 Suburban with 24's and am out to the river at least twice a month. (Usually more like 3-4 times)....They do fine. We tow from our storage to the lake, so it sounds like a really similar situation. So far, no problems....and the bling factor is off the hook... Good Luck

Brewzed
    Look for a one-peice wheel. I know a guy that had a 2-peice 20" wheel come apart on him while towing.

Boozer
    Have you driven a vehicle with 24's yet? Most people will not be happy with the way a vehicle handles on 24's. The turning feels different, the vehicle is harder to stop (unless you upgrade the brakes) and the ride will be substantially rougher.
    Personally I would not turn a rim any bigger then a 22 on any vehicle for any reason. But again thats just my personal opinion.
    Before you spend the money on a set of 24's make sure to drive a similar vehicle with 24's first to make sure you're comfortable with the way the vehicle rides.

phebus
    I've read several articles on the bigger wheels, and they state for safety, anything bigger then 22's require bigger brakes.

superdave013
    I've read several articles on the bigger wheels, and they state for safety, anything bigger then 22's require bigger brakes.
    Wouldn't the OD of the tire be the thing that really matters? I mean if some guy has 24" with the rubber bands they are not near as large as some other guy with 15" rims and a set of 44" super swampers.

CornWater
    Wouldn't the OD of the tire be the thing that really matters? I mean if some guy has 24" with the rubber bands they are not near as large as some other guy with 15" rims and a set of 44" super swampers.
    Not necessarily, it is the rotating mass that is key, and the wheel generally weighs a hell of a lot more than the tire...

lucky
    yea your correct dave - but what you did not take into concidration was the rotating weight of them stupid ass spinners bling bling - is such a lil dick thing

lucky
    Not necessarily, it is the rotating mass that is key, and the wheel generally weighs a hell of a lot more than the tire...
    ive picked up some heavy ass tires

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast