Thread: starter question

cave
    OK I get the motor in and with 396 ways to spits help, I get the wiring back on right, I overtightened the nut on the battery cable to the starter. I cracked the phenolic housing. I picked up a re manufactured one from Auto zone but its for a 350.
    1st question Anyone have a part number I could give them to get a starter for a 1999 Gen V Chevy 454 BB. I have a battery cable stud and two smaller studs. one marked "R" and the other marked "S". The one they offered me has only one stud. Its also tiny. If it had "R" & "S" studs I would of bought it. But it didn't.
    2nd would the 350 starter be too week to crank the motor? I got a new battery hooked up. The starter clicks when I turn the key to start the engine. Then a big Ka-bang sound like it slipped off & hit the fly wheel.
    It did started up for a second then stopped.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Here is a pic of the old one http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...tarter_sel.jpg

If you still have your original starter, all you need is a new solenoid to put it back in action. About $30 maybe.
    If the old starter got turned in as a core and you want something that will work, see if they can cross reference to these numbers:
    AC Delco #323-367 or GM # 10496873
    These are the numbers for the heavy duty truck starter and it should have the correct terminals on the solenoid.

cave
    Thanks OLDSQUIRT!!!

cave
    seams like the starter I've had on there for all these years has been the wrong one. All the starters they showed me have 3 studs. Could I get away with not running a wire from the coil to the starter. I have an MSD Ignition system. If I can eliminate the orange wire from the starter to the coil I could pick up the right starter today.wiring diagram (http://liquidaddiction.net/wiring.htm) What does the "R" stand for anyways? "S" = switch I think.

RCB19
    The only wires that you need going to the solinoid are the Positive Batt cable, a wire from your alternator on the same post as the Pos, and the ignition switch wire which goes to the "S" terminal. The other terminal is not used.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    seams like the starter I've had on there for all these years has been the wrong one. All the starters they showed me have 3 studs. Could I get away with not running a wire from the coil to the starter. I have an MSD Ignition system. If I can eliminate the orange wire from the starter to the coil I could pick up the right starter today.wiring diagram (http://liquidaddiction.net/wiring.htm) What does the "R" stand for anyways? "S" = switch I think.
    Sorry that I didnt get back to you bud. Come see me at my store on mckellips and lindsey and I will take care of you. I work monday,wed,thurs,fri,and sat next week. or pm me with your number and I will call you. Remember I work for autozone

cave
    Oh yea Mike. I remember now. For some reason I thought it was checker. Bad experience with them on a spiral battery. My bad. Cool. You guys get 460 up & ready for the river?

The "R" stands for "resistor". The wire that runs from the "R" terminal to the coil(or coil side of ballast resistor) is called the "ballast bypass". What it does is send a higher voltage to the coil during cranking ONLY. It compensates for the normally lower available voltage during cranking. This is only needed on systems that use a ballast resistor, meaning points-type ignitions and some electronic ignitions. If you dont have a ballast resistor, you can eliminate that wire, meaning you only need the one small stud on the solenoid.
    It's hard to have the "wrong" starter if it was working for 3 years. There are detail differences and various motor sizes, but if it spun the engine without trouble it was correct.
    The one major difference in SBC/BBC starters is the diameter of flywheel they were made for.There are both 12 3/4"(153 tooth) and 14"(168 tooth) flywheels. Starters for these will not interchange with each other, so if you put in the "wrong" one, it wont work.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Oh yea Mike. I remember now. For some reason I thought it was checker. Bad experience with them on a spiral battery. My bad. Cool. You guys get 460 up & ready for the river?
    Not yet, he is getting new srings put on his heads. I am rigging my boat as we speak. Let me know on that starter. I think I have a new one in the box that I am not going to use. pm me and I will give you my number.

cave
    Thanks again guys!
    I finally got it started. Seams like I had the right starter just needed shims. I traded up for the smaller, lighter, easier to hold under the Bassetts with one hand to turn the rachet with that same hand starter.lol.
    It sounds great. My nieghbors are a bit pist. Guess I always needed shims cause this motor always was always hard starting. She fired up on the first twist of the key.
    396 wts, better to be safe than sorry. Hey where did you get carpet at???? mine is done. I may have to get by this season with it. Next year is interior.
    Later.