Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford 4.6 questions

Norseman
    I thought it was 260 hp but 32 valves indeed.
    That's about what I thought the HP was too!!

Norseman
    Bob, The only issue with the Fairlane is the unibody construction. Under heavy throttle with decent hp the body will twist without frame connectors. My 67 has a 427 Med. Riser and the body is showing signs of flex. The driver door is mis-aligned and the area at the C pillar is starting to crack. Do you have any pics of the car?
    I don't figure I'll have that kind of HP, maybe 260 or so... But it should run better than the 6 cylinder it came from the factory with.
    Sounds like you have a nice ride!!!
    No pictures yet, I'll take some when I look at it!! The sellers is having trouble emailing them.
    Any pictures of yours????? I'd love to see it!!

Norseman
    The only trouble I had with my 4.6 was the damn COPs (that's coil on plug, not the fuzz) I replaced 4 of them 2 of which were the same cylinder only a couple of thousand miles apart. They seem to be hit or miss. Some people will say they've never had a problem with them, and some (like me) had all kinds of issues with them. There is 8 of them of course and they cost between $55-$65 a piece aftermarket. $80 + from Ferd. In my experience the ones I got from Advance auto parts were better than the ones from Autozone although the advance ones were like $13 more I think. Changing the plugs on that motor is a bitch too. The plugs are a good 4 1/2" or so down in the motor so it's pretty easy to get dirt and water down by the plug. So needless to say it's not a great idea to wash the motor in that area. And you have to take care to remove any of this crap before you pull the plug so you don't get that crap down in the cylinder. Other than those relatively small issues I didn't have any problems with that motor. It did seem to be pretty low on torque at low rpms, but ran pretty good above 3k rpm, and pulled very well above 4k. I suppose my biggest concern would be if ALL the electronics (computer, sensors, etc.) were brought over correctly with the installation. It could run great but the gas mileage could be absolute shyte if some sensors were eliminated. Just what I've heard, never swapped one.
    Good luck,
    Nick
    The guy that has the car supposedly knows what he's doing and everything was done correctly. I'll find out, I plan to borrow a code scanner and see what I'll see......

Blown 472
    I don't figure I'll have that kind of HP, maybe 260 or so... But it should run better than the 6 cylinder it came from the factory with.
    Sounds like you have a nice ride!!!
    No pictures yet, I'll take some when I look at it!! The sellers is having trouble emailing them.
    Any pictures of yours????? I'd love to see it!!
    Iron block single overhead cam? Not sure if you are in that hp range, the dual overhead cam motors in the Lsc lincolns only had 290. Speaking of which I am going to have one for sale with the od trans, harness, gastank etc pretty soon.

DaveA
    I think that you have to have the 5.4 cammer and all those extra valves to get 300hp in the Navigators etc. My 5.4 truck motor in 99 was like 235hp. I have to check and see what the 5.4 in my new F150 is rated at. All I know is that it gits when you mash on it.
    Bob, if you've got 190k on a Windstar, you've accomplished something.
    I've got two Aerostars in the biz that are approaching 200k, and a third I got rid of at 210k. It's already been to Laredo & back. Carlos likes it.

mach1alaska
    If I'm not mistaken, isn't that the DOHC 32 valve motor? 300 hp in the cruisers and police cars?
    Nope the cruisers had the same engine and tune(calibration ) as the run of the mill vickies. the only dif. was that some had blue silicone hoses. good engine but not a lot of snort.
    I was a ford tech for 15+ yrs

Hondo78
    I had two T-Birds with the 4.6 single cam, drove one for 280K miles and the other was near 200K, when we parted. Very few problems, just a trans tail housing seal that blew when attempting to make another fishing trip in lake tahoe by 6 AM, in 2.5 hours at 125+ for almost the full trip.
    I since, have purchased a 32 valve aluminum Lincoln engine, stuffing it into a Runner Bottom with forced induction, I have not completed the engine management system on the boat, but I do think this is the way to go for a daily driver.
    *I sold the cars back to the Walnut Creek Ford dealer, both are owned by service technicians that car-pool commute from the Bay Area to the valley, "they claim 400K" if well maintained in long haul traffic.
    As for the "plastic" intake, I have one on my 2003 F150, and will replace it with something more exotic when it does fail.
    Ford bet the farm on it's cammer V8, and cut engine service issues, (valve train related), by 90 percent.. great engine, I just wish it was avaiable in 450 C.I. or better.
    hondo78

Norseman
    I think that you have to have the 5.4 cammer and all those extra valves to get 300hp in the Navigators etc. My 5.4 truck motor in 99 was like 235hp. I have to check and see what the 5.4 in my new F150 is rated at. All I know is that it gits when you mash on it.
    Bob, if you've got 190k on a Windstar, you've accomplished something.
    I've got two Aerostars in the biz that are approaching 200k, and a third I got rid of at 210k. It's already been to Laredo & back. Carlos likes it.
    Dave;
    I put lots of miles on a car, but it mostly hiway. I also tend to over maintain stuff. Lots of oil changes, and it gets what it needs right away. I've found that preventative maintance in better then Found On the Road Dead!!! :sqeyes:
    This van has held up very well!!
    Bob
    Bob

Norseman
    Nope the cruisers had the same engine and tune(calibration ) as the run of the mill vickies. the only dif. was that some had blue silicone hoses. good engine but not a lot of snort.
    I was a ford tech for 15+ yrs
    I know they pull pretty good in a cruiser!!!! :220v:
    I'll see in the Fairlane!!

HOSS
    Composite intakes suck! New style waterneck on composite intake sucks worse. Removing temp sensors in composite intakes suck yet worse.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast