Thread: low rpm's

novaguy
    I am purchasing a 89 21' Eliminator Mohave. I took the boat out for a test ride and the max rpm's were 3600-3800. The guy that owns it says it normally gets up to 4200 rpm. The boat has a stock 454 motor with berkely jet. What could be the cause of the low r's? I know there are a million possibilities. The motor has a points distributor and a Holley vacuum secondaries carb. I am changing the distributor to a MSD and was thinking of putting a double pumper on. Will this help? The boat ran great otherwise, just slow. The boat has been sitting for 3 years also. Carb just rebuilt.

lakecrazy
    Yes, An ignition upgrade would help and a less restricive exhaust system should increase your rpm potential. Make sure your ignition timing is set correctly to a max of 36@3000 rpm.

beached1
    Have you checked your compression?

rivercrazy
    Give that motor a real complete lookover. Hopefully in has good compression that is consistent from cyl to cyl. Check everything out before you buy. The problem could be as simple as the secondaries on the carb not opening up.
    A double pumper/mechanical secondary is definately the way to go on a jet. You will get much better accel with that set up. The Holley marine 9022 carb is not bad.