Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flywheel vs Flexplate

Frosty_pop
    I was wondering which everybody is running. I was thinking of switching to a flexplate to increase my RPM level. Is this the right thing to do?

HBjet
    Flexplate.... Flywheel is way too heavy...
    HBjet

BK
    Ive been running a flywheel in mine. Not sure but id make sure if your motor was ballanced with the flywheel and you changed to a flexplate, would that cause a problem?

Frosty_pop
    I am running a small block and it just seems that I get to RPM level and can't get above it. Will a lighter rotating assembly help this? I get up to RPM real fast, just can't get any more

justaddfuel
    I used to play around with dune buggies, and one of the things you can do is put a lighter flywheel on. I did this to mine and noticed a big difference. It felt alot peppier going through the gears, I guess cause the engine can rev quicker due to laws of science. But I noticed no change to top rpm. Also, it lost some of it's tractability, like going slow through technical sections, you had to pay more attention to keep the motor spinning.
    So I'm curious, also. What are the effects of no flywheel? When you unload the pump, wouldn't the heavy fly act as a "shock absorber" to protect the motor, or is it the pump you're trying to protect in that situation?

dmontzsta
    Go with a flexplate, I have both in my garage and the flywheel has a good 15lbs on the flexplate.

Sangster
    How bout' a Cam change....

Frosty_pop
    How bout' a Cam change....
    Did a cam change, didn't help much

lilrick
    SFI flexplate .Don't put a stock one on, as it will crack.

UBFJ #454
    On page 4 of the 'Gear Heads' Section under the title 'Billet Flywheels' this subject was discussed at length. You might want to check it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast