Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Merc still make the number 5 drive??

WetWillie
    I was talking to Toby tonight and he was mentioning wanting to run a Teague EFI 800 with no issues.. I talked about the #5 not sure if they still
    make it? Does it need a tranny?? Why dont more guys use them??

WetWillie
    http://mercruiser.com/uploads/2154/VSSMRdrive_d.gif
    The V SSM drive uses the same transom assembly as the III-A SSM drive and contains all the qualities and features as the III-A including larger vertical bearings in the upper housing, larger driveshaft splines, larger pinion bearings, and a larger prop shaft with rear loading for increased strength. The V SSM’s overall installation height is 6” (152.4 mm) shorter than the III-A drive. This allows the engine to be mounted lower in the boat, improving the boat’s center of gravity. The gearcase is mounted higher on the transom, resulting in better performance. Spacers are available to lower the drive unit up to 3” (76.2 mm) in 1” (25.4 mm) increments.
    Features & Benefits
    Contains all the qualities and features as the III-A SSM Drive.
    Larger vertical bearings in the upper housing.
    Larger driveshaft splines and pinion bearings.
    Larger propshaft with rear loading, for increased strength.
    Uses same transom assembly as the III-A SSM drive.
    Input ratings are 750 HP and up to 750 foot pounds of torque.
    Overall installation height is 6" shorter than the III-A SSM Drive. This allows the engine to be mounted lower in the boat resulting in a better center of gravity. The gearcase is mounted higher on the transom resulting in better performance.
    Drive-line and plug-in models available.
    Spacers are available to lower drive unit up to 3" in 1" increments.
    Gear ratios: (RH or LH) 1:1, 1.18:1, 1.33:1, 1.48:1 or 1.62:1.
    Toby this should do it!!

Bling Bling
    I was talking to Toby tonight and he was mentioning wanting to run a Teague EFI 800 with no issues.. I talked about the #5 not sure if they still
    You can get your hands on them for sure. If my memory serves me correctly, the top of a 5 gimbal verses a 6 gimbal sticks up higher on the transom . The problem is a 5 is really and I mean really only rated at a 1000 hp tops. I have a buddy with them on his 38 scarab with 900hp, every 2 years it's time for rebuilds and he maybe uses it 5 times a year. A #6 or max machine. Just ask bravo boy.

WetWillie
    Go with a Max Machine drive before you go #5??

Jrocket
    #5 still takes a tranny though doesnt it?

Havasu Hangin'
    #5 still takes a tranny though doesnt it?
    I think all the SSM drives need a tranny.

Jrocket
    I think all the SSM drives need a tranny.
    Thats what i thought,then it aint gonna fit in a 26 unless you use one of Max's new trannys and their not tested yet...oh did i let that out of the bag! Dam it

TOBTEK
    OMG.....man, dont pharse it like that. All kinds of "tire kicker" comments will be flying quicker then Rockies chasing something/ ANYTHING for free
    And change your fricking Avatar, I look im 4'9" tall. :cry: SO, BLING you think "somebody" would be better running a MAX drive with 800hp verse something else???? "somebody" doesn't want to be rebuilding drives two or three times a yr!

WetWillie
    How the hell did you get online??

Jrocket
    You will need a tranny for anything but a Bravo1,and there is no room for a trans.I went through this already,not too mention you would have to mover the motor forward and Dave says thats a NO NO.
    So buns up for the new Billet Max drive.I'll let ya know how it holds up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast