Thread: Cam ,Cam ,Cam????????????????????????

Kevin Crane
    Blowndragboat has me headed forward again with this motor and one thing I need is a cam change . I like the Lunati's alot that he told me about !! Any other's that you know work well let me know . If you have a set up close to this one tell me what cam your running and what RPMs your turning .
    Basic BBC 468 10to1 TRW forged,Stealth intake,Holley 850,Head's 1.720 2.065 Roller Rocker's,MSD,Log's (WILL switch to header's this winter ... Not like that 100mph boat I saw on forum !!!!roflmao) Berkley A impeller Thank's Kevin

superdave013
    You might want to talk to George at Clay Smith Cams 714 523-0530. He's done just about it all with jet boats and grinds some fine cams!

77charger
    you can also give babe erson(not supershops related) cams a call too hes in fullerton he has done my past 2 cams and they both worked well prices are good too has the whole kit springs,lifters.Tell him what you have and hell take care of you.Also about the clay smith cams have heard good about them too.these smaller guys can prob set you up better than a big cam co.because they can custum grind to your specific needs.as for numbers for your cam i would keep around 236-244@50 and around 550-570 lift. my motor runs a 248@50 588 lift.11-1 bbf429 performer rpm 750 holley.i plan on runnin a b cut to let the motor rev(short stroke) http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif if i was to keep the a cut then i would cam it smaller.
    [This message has been edited by 77charger (edited October 15, 2001).]

superdave013
    77charger, your in Fullerton? I'm in Anaheim, we must meet sometime! If you ever need any hardware made for your steed let me know!

77charger
    Go to rivertoys.com message board jason is thinkin of putting together a beer night.

Clutch
    Hey Kevin,
    After your cam choice I would definitely get bigger valves at least 2.19 or bigger and 1.88 ex. good luck.

Unchained
    Kevin, I see you prefer Lunati, That's what I said also. When I received my new roller lifters and cam last year I was installing the lifters and found that the horizontal flat tie bars were all installed upside down which put the lifters at a crazy angle to the cam.
    I had to remove all the springs and flip the
    tie bars over so that the "T" stamped into them was on the top side. I couldn't believe they screwed up on such a simple thing. I wonder if they have gone downhill since Holley bought them out. Also they sent me two different cams and never did get the one that I actually ordered. I gave up on Lunati and ordered a Bullet Cam out of Tenn.

fryzll
    Has anyone had good luck w/ Crower cams in their boats? Ive used Crower for years in my trucks w/ great results but not in a marine application. They will grind a cam to whatever specs you want so I just wanted to know why their name doesnt come up much for boat cams.
    Chris

Jetty 468
    Originally posted by Unchained:
    Kevin, I see you prefer Lunati, That's what I said also. When I received my new roller lifters and cam last year I was installing the lifters and found that the horizontal flat tie bars were all installed upside down which put the lifters at a crazy angle to the cam.
    I had to remove all the springs and flip the
    tie bars over so that the "T" stamped into them was on the top side. I couldn't believe they screwed up on such a simple thing. I wonder if they have gone downhill since Holley bought them out. Also they sent me two different cams and never did get the one that I actually ordered. I gave up on Lunati and ordered a Bullet Cam out of Tenn.
    Thank's for the info. Did not know Holley bought them out . I think I will try it hope it work's out !!

572Daytona
    I have a Crower cam in my 572 Bowtie and like the performance. I'm planning on having the motor dyno'ed in the near future to see what kind of HP I'm making.