Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loader is making marks in pump housing---WTF??

DeputyDawg
    I was crawling around under the new Daytona last night checking stuff out and I noticed that there were two little gouges about .030" deep in the suction piece where the loader has evidently been bumping it. The loader itself doesn't appear to have any marks or worn spots on it but I am not certain that this is the loader that caused the damage because the boat came with three different ones, however the marks do line up with this loader. Do loaders flex enough at speed to cause this? Is there anyway to secure the loader so that this doesn't happen, like adding another screw or two somewhere? Should I just grind off some of the loader so it doesn't get into the housing? I need some help guys. Thanks!

Squirtin Thunder
    Jak of Black Bear Racing had a Loader turn it self into a pretizel last season. So yes it does happen !!! But I am thinking you may want to call Jack @ MPD to see what he would recomend !!! Take pics and post them !!!

Ken F
    DD, it's pretty common for what you describe to happen. The loader is supposed to butt up tight against the intake, but yes there is plenty of water pressure against it to cause it to flex somewhat. I'm not real versed on this subject, so I'd talk to Jack if he's closest to you, or be patient...someone will answer your post who is "in the know".
    Ken f

If its a major interference, then its a problem, and one of the 2 should to be clearanced or replace the loader,but a little rubbing on one side or the other is normal, Ive tried lotsa different loaders, some rub, some dont. Dont loose sleep over it.
    CS

DeputyDawg
    Who is Jack? Where is he located? I live in Thornberry, TX out in the boondocks on the Red River.

Squirtin Thunder
    Hope this helps !!!
    Marine Performance Designs
    1760 Monrovia Street. Unit A-7
    Costa Mesa, California 92627
    Phone : (949) 631-2040
    e-mail : jmcclure@pacbell.net
    www : http://home.pacbell.net/jmcclure

bp
    it isn't common where i am, and it's something to be completely avoided. loaders rubbing or touching will end up hammering. hammering turns into cracked suction housings.
    loader bolts should be drilled through, tapped to 5/16, using steel screws with locknuts on top. they should be checked between trips to the lake, to make sure the thing isn't loose at all.
    having a loader come loose is a bad thing. causes stuff to break. i've never had it happen (knock knock), but i know people that have.

Duane HTP
    Yes, they can flex and vibrate a lot. On a fast boat this can turn into a serious problem if not corrected. On our race boats we always put a bolt up through the throat of the pump, up into the cross bar at the back of the loader. This will nail the loader down to the throat, and I have even seen boats pick up 2 to 6 mph just from doing it. That vibration from the loader, unloads the center of the impeller if it's vibrating very much. There is enough pressure down there that it can break a 5/16" bolt off. We use a 3/8" grade 8 bolt, and that seems to hold.

DeputyDawg
    That sounds like a hell of a good idea Duane. Is there anything I should know before busting out the drill and taps? Is this something better left to a professional? I an 1300 miles from all these California Gurus, I need some mid-west help.

kp216
    I an 1300 miles from all these California Gurus, I need some mid-west help.
    Call the man in the post right above yours! 316-794-8616

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast