Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Hand Held Gps?for Boat

IMPATIENT 1
    MY WIFE GOT ME A NEW GPS FOR CHRISTMAS.I TOLD HER THAT I NEEDED A NEW ONE THAT HAD A MAX SPEED SETTING LIKE SOME OF THE GARMIN UNIT HAVE,BUT I GOT A MAGELLAN.NO MAX SPEED SETTING!THE SPEEDO IS DEAD ON WITH MY NEW RIDE'S SPEEDO BUT IT THINK IT WOULD BE DANGEROUS TO WATCH AT TOP SPEED!WHAT'S THE BEST HAND HELD CHEAP UNIT.GOTTA RETURN THE MAGELLAN. :idea:

Aluminum Squirt
    I started off with a hand held, a GPS12 from Garmin. 3 GPS units and many 100's of dollars later, I have a Garmin GPS V. I now have mounts on pretty much every vehicle I own and don't quite feel right w/o it. Works equally well on a bicycle, motorcycle, car, boat etc. I recommend getting a little nicer unit and a couple of mounts and power cords so you can move it around and make the installation look nice. I think you'll like it. I'm partial to Garmin and their website is nice because you can compare most of their units side by side, but I'm sure there are other brands that work just as well. Go for a full feature unit and I don't think you'll be dissappointed. Really helps with tuning, that's why they call it the lie detector. Just my $.02-Aluminum Squirt

BigBlockOldsJet
    This one
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t/DCP_5621.jpg
    That's the biggest hand held GPS I have ever seen.

Hemicbx
    I have the bottom of the line $99 eTrex. For use in the boat it's great. Not a lot of screens to screw around with; just the basics. Instant, average, & Max speed, odometer, waypoint marking, etc. Simple, basic, and to the point. Plus, if I screw up & lose it, I'm only $99 sad.
    Hemicbx

HotDogz
    Rhino 120
    Complete trip computer(max speed, moving time, elev., moving avg. etc.), GSMR 21 channel radio,downloadable maps, and water resistant (o-ring seals), electronic compass. If communicating w/ another will show rhino in 2mi range, it will show location of other broadcasting rhino.
    Rhino 120 (http://www.garmin.com/products/rino120/)

atxwrangler
    i would buy one that is water proof if i had it to do again,mine has been dropped and found in the bilge half full of water.don't ask me how!it is a small green ghecko 201 by garmin,it has top speed!it is still working after all it has been through.there is also the ever constant fear of dropping it in the water at the boat ramp,one that floats would be the shiznit!!!! my 2 cents!!!

IMPATIENT 1
    I have the bottom of the line $99 eTrex. For use in the boat it's great. Not a lot of screens to screw around with; just the basics. Instant, average, & Max speed, odometer, waypoint marking, etc. Simple, basic, and to the point. Plus, if I screw up & lose it, I'm only $99 sad.
    Hemicbx
    WHO MAKES THE ETREX? I WOULD LIKE TO STAY CHEAP SO LOSING IT TO WATER OR SOMETHING WON'T MATTER MUCH.THE INDASH GPS SPEEDO'S ARE TO EXPENSIVE.I LIKE EM,JUST NEED THE GENERAL PURPOSE ONE BECAUSE I TEND TO GET LOST WHEN I'M ON A UNFAMILIAR LAKE.DAMN 12OUNCE AMNESIA!!

djunkie
    I have the Etrex by Garmin and it works great for what I do. Plots waypoints, tells speed, max speed, etc. Cheap too. Only down fall is it has a slight delay on the speedo part. But my boat doesn't accelerate fast enough to make a difference.

IMPATIENT 1
    I Think I'll Take The Magellan Back And Get The Etrex. Ya Gotta Have The Max Speed Setting With A Boat! Thanks Everbody

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast