Thread: Main Shaft Seal

SeaYaBye
    My main shaft seal in my Berkeley pump seems to be leaking. How far can I tighten the adjusters or what is involved in replacing it?

nitro557
    its going to leak some berkley says 1 drop per minute at idle,make sure you tighten the nuts evenly at a 1/4 turn at a time

wsm9808
    Jet boats are like great sex, they are loud, accelerate hard and your going to get wet.
    Like nitro said, they are supposed to drip a little, but if its real bad and you want to change your packing it's not to hard. Just take off the packing ring follower and fish the old packing rings out of the suction houseing(should be 4 rings). wrap a new packing ring around the pump shaft and push it into the housing. put in all four rings staggering the end gaps. Then reinstall the split packing ring follower and alternately and evenly tighten the adjuster nuts. Just SNUG, remember you want it to drip alittle. if you get it too tight you can damage the shaft.

nastyhabit
    its an easy fix seayabye theres 4 (looks like square worms) take out 4 put in 4 tightin up easy dont kill it i just changed mine a month ago nasty was fillin up fast if your in orange county CAL call jack McCLURE 949-631-2040 hes in costa mesa CAL its a nobrainer fix in about a half hour for first timers--nasty

SeaYaBye
    Thanx for all the good info to cure my drip? I just didn't want to become a jet-submarine. Party-on lads!