Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Run'n that jet out of the water

HammerDown
    There's much controversy about this topic.This is long so stay with me...Here's my view on it.The rear of the shaft is in an oil bath,(certain makes),the front fo the shaft has a lubed bearing.Now the packing seals or ropes do need water to cool and lube them so the shaft won't become scored...UNLESS...ya use GFO fiber packing there a dark grey graphite type of braded rope that a good friend of mine turned me onto years ago (about 5-6) this is a virtually dripless setup!And I don't see a mark on the shaft. Anyhow and as far as the Impallar to wear ring clearance,It seems to me it dosent matter if ya have .001 thou. or .035 thou.....clearance is clearance, unless your bowl bearings are so shot your shaft is sagging! I've just taken my pump apart this past month,the clearance's are exactly the same,.020 Imp to wear ring shoulder,and.010 per side of Imp. to wear ring,nothing has changed...And I'am one who dose run my motor out of the water for the (shortest)amount of time.With water from a garden hose.Sorry for the long reply,but I feel that ya can do more damage to the Imp.+ wear ring by useing reverse to pull yourself off a beach,something I NEVER do,but yes I wash down the inside of the pump to remove any grit from towing the boat home and hook up a hose to it and make sure the damm thing starts before I leave the house on my 20 mile trip to the water.It works for me.Wheeew that was the longest post for me.

mach1 454
    i have a berkly jet in my boat and love to hear that engine rumble when im at home. Ever since i messed my pump up by wearing out the wear ring and the housing around it buy running it out of the water i have never ran it out of the water again. the pump was just built befor that not even 7 hours on the pump yet. i even used to run a garden hose to the pump around the wear ring area. i would never even rase the RPM on the engine. I wouldent chance it!!! just run it at the lake were it belongs. lates

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234