Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Know About Websense?

bigq
    Find an open port and use RDP to a home computer or find open ports and setup a proxy on the outside and go into IE proxy settings and change to the outside proxy settings.
    Or maybe your friend should actually do what he is paid for and work. :hammerhea :wink:

PEBKAC
    The cheapeast and easiiest way to bypass Websense monitoring is to install a free PC control app called VNC on you home computer (similar to PCAnywhere except it's free), then open up only the ports needed for VNC on you home router/firewall (if you have one), and you can then connect to your PC at home and surf to ***boat via your home computer. Websense doesn't monitor VNC ports so this type of activity won't show up on any Websense reports. If these guys are just now getting around to installing Websense you can pretty much assume they are new to this monitoring stuff and they don't have any other high end monitoring tools to track this type of activity.
    The other possible solution is to see if there is another default gateway used by only the IT department (sometimes they have one setup to bypass Websense for themselves). If this is the case then all you have to do is change the work PC default gateway adress to the one the IT deparment uses. But that is a real long shot.....

Panic Button
    ISA 2003 blocks all out/in bound ports and you have to manually open the ports up for websense and internet access. We only open 80, 8080 ports so that idea wouldn't work. If they did open all ports the Proxy, PCAnyWhere, MYPC, & VNC ports would show up on the reports.

Racer277
    Right.
    The combination of ISA and Pix is pretty good coverage.
    Again, if he has good reason to go the sites he wants, they can make the changes. Depending on the changes, he may or may not show up on the reports. But you would want a good reason for him to go to those places.
    Also, time restrictions can be emplaced, saying certain access is available during lunch or after hours. The reports will reflect what times these sites were accessed.....

It's Only Money
    So what everyone is saying my friend is SOL! Lots of good info here.
    Next question...the same friend whenI relayed the information said that he has been using "spawned" windows to access the websites. As he explained it, he goes to a website that he knows is related to a justifiable business use and clicks on a link within it which spawns another window, then that window has a link for a "printer formated window" (so the graphics aren't printed) which spawns a third window. That's the window he uses to surf for NON-business related stuff. He claims - and from the info you guys posted can't work - that the third window is somehow linked to the business use window (1st to open) so that the web addresses are masked (?) that he is actually going to. Can this be possibly true?
    Note..he's been surfing this way for a long time (years) and nobody has said anything to him. My opinion is that the IT staff is probably understaffed and just hasn't the resources to followup the URLs he visits. I can't imagine the "three spawn window" trick really works.
    PS...he says it isn't that the company IT are newbies but the proxy server used to be at another facility and his facitlity is being sold. His IT staff is buying Websense as a corporate standard of the Corporation that's buying his facility. His internal people never monitored the Internet usage - that was left to the higher up corporate entity which has a HUGE staff.

Racer277
    Tell your friend to go back to work, that's what he gets paid for.
    His usage will now be monitored. Smarter people than him have been caught, and many put in jail (I've assisted with this).
    Tell him his job is not worth it...
    my .02

It's Only Money
    That's pretty much my statement to him.

Mrs.Racer277
    Tell your friend to go back to work, that's what he gets paid for.
    His usage will now be monitored. Smarter people than him have been caught, and many put in jail (I've assisted with this).
    Tell him his job is not worth it...
    my .02
    :yuk: :yuk: Work??? :wink:

Panic Button
    So what everyone is saying my friend is SOL! Lots of good info here.
    Next question...the same friend whenI relayed the information said that he has been using "spawned" windows to access the websites. As he explained it, he goes to a website that he knows is related to a justifiable business use and clicks on a link within it which spawns another window, then that window has a link for a "printer formated window" (so the graphics aren't printed) which spawns a third window. That's the window he uses to surf for NON-business related stuff. He claims - and from the info you guys posted can't work - that the third window is somehow linked to the business use window (1st to open) so that the web addresses are masked (?) that he is actually going to. Can this be possibly true?
    Note..he's been surfing this way for a long time (years) and nobody has said anything to him. My opinion is that the IT staff is probably understaffed and just hasn't the resources to followup the URLs he visits. I can't imagine the "three spawn window" trick really works.
    PS...he says it isn't that the company IT are newbies but the proxy server used to be at another facility and his facitlity is being sold. His IT staff is buying Websense as a corporate standard of the Corporation that's buying his facility. His internal people never monitored the Internet usage - that was left to the higher up corporate entity which has a HUGE staff.
    It doesn't work that way, it's monitored... Just wait his time will come. We termed a guy today, been monitoring him for 7 months, total lost wages $10K, we had over 600 pages of his sites!

Tom Brown
    HB Forums come up as "Vehicles"
    It comes up as swimsuit and lingerie here.
    There are potential ways around web sense but unless your web security team are circus monkeys, you will not succeed for long. An amazing amount of information is available provided the administrators know how and have the energy to extract it.
    It's worth while thinking about why the company installed WebSense. If you try to subvert that system, it will probably not be taken in a light hearted manner. It's tough to plead ignorance when you've gone to great pains to get around a screen that's telling you to stop doing what you're doing.
    The very best way around WebSense is with a dial modem but, once again, it is a potential point of policy violation. Any organization that has implemented WebSense has almost certainly put in place a policy against user initiated Internet connections.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast