Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jet boat steering problems

commander88
    hi fellas just signed up today,been browsing around it for awhile but havent signed up til now,anyway on with my question. i have an 88 commander with a berkely jet drive and a hydraulic place diverter. my problem,steering is way sloppy i have a teleflex rotary steering set up and just replaced it last year because of the sloppy steering,turns out i still have the same problem. i can grab the nozzle and move it about 3 to 4 inches each side before the steering wheel moves and its driving me nuts any suggestions would be greately appreciated thanks.

olbiezer
    dude thats a real problem.....i might have changed a different type of steering last year but.......that thing should be tight with very little slop.......hard to tell ya whats wrong without seeing it. when u changed cables last year did u change the steering coloumn also? if not that may be your problem. hope someone can help ya just my 2 cents when i changed mine last year it came as a new cable and rack and steering column the whole shooting match.

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
    Check the nut on the inside of the transom on the end of cable, see it it's loose. Then have someone else wiggle the nozzle while you follow the linkage forward. Budlight

commander88
    Check the nut on the inside of the transom on the end of cable, see it it's loose. Then have someone else wiggle the nozzle while you follow the linkage forward. Budlight
    yeah ireplaced the whole set up as a kit but i did notice that the cable does not tughten up all the way on that nut like that piece going thru there is too short could this be my dilema also when you say the steering helm are you talking about the steering box itself or the metal tab tha mounts thru the dash.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I just replaced mine with a Hardin Marine unit exactly like my old Morse. Won't move over 1/4" MAX. I'd suspect the nut on the end of the rack part (mine is a rack & pinion style) that mounts the cable to the rack. The nut I mean is burried inside which means remove the rack, then I think there is a lock-block of some sort to remove, then the rack will slide out of it's shell on the end of the cable (steering wheel end of course). Good luck

commander88
    I just replaced mine with a Hardin Marine unit exactly like my old Morse. Won't move over 1/4" MAX. I'd suspect the nut on the end of the rack part (mine is a rack & pinion style) that mounts the cable to the rack. The nut I mean is burried inside which means remove the rack, then I think there is a lock-block of some sort to remove, then the rack will slide out of it's shell on the end of the cable (steering wheel end of course). Good luck
    im willing to try anything would you happen to have a part # and where to get ahold of that, ive been told by someone else i should switch to rack and pinion and get rid of the rotary set up.

Devilman
    I've got a little slack in mine too. If you wiggle the nozzle back & forth, and watch inside, the cable will move in & out of that big brass nut a little bit:
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...eringcable.jpg
    It also will dribble water through there too, coming in from the opposite end of the threaded tube where the cable passes through to connect outside. Is there some sort of seal that goes up in there or is that normal activity?
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...bleoutside.jpg

Yarder
    I bought a seal setup from Bergeron Engineering in Mesa, AZ. It consists of a plastic split washer/bushing and a rubber sleeve that fits snug over the sleeve coming through the pump and tightly on the steering part.
    Works great and inexpensive too..
    Bergeron Engineering in Mesa, AZ: 480-834-1531
    Yarder

Squirtin Thunder
    Rex Marine also has a nut for the steering tube, that seals it with an o-ring. It also has a special feature, it has a zert fitting so that you can pack the steering cable full of grease, which frees up the cable and takes up some slop in the cable. I just did it and it took almost a whole tube of grease. My steering is like brand new now.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...ng_Arm-med.jpg
    Rex Marine also has this part as well. It is a nice little swivel fitting which also helps to free up the steering, as well as help remove any slop because everything is tight.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...ivel_2-med.jpg

Mrs CP 19
    Rex Marine also has a nut for the steering tube, that seals it with an o-ring. It also has a special feature, it has a zert fitting so that you can pack the steering cable full of grease, which frees up the cable and takes up some slop in the cable. I just did it and it took almost a whole tube of grease. My steering is like brand new now.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...ng_Arm-med.jpg
    Rex Marine also has this part as well. It is a nice little swivel fitting which also helps to free up the steering, as well as help remove any slop because everything is tight.
    Yep, got one when we got our new cable a few months ago, excellent addition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast