Thread: newbe jet boat ?

git r
    just checked my oil for the first time. it needs to be changed out of the 454. obviously there is no way to drain the oil out the bottom, so do you suction it out? if so where can i get such a device. also is 40 weight the best oil to run in my motor?

Tom Brown
    Welcome to the forums, Git R. Cool name, by the way.
    Plenty of help will be along shortly.

jbone
    My 502 has a drain line coming out of the drain plug hole. It has a plug on the end with a clip that allows it to be attached to the top of the engine on the hoist mount.
    Since I have plenty of time, I simply remove the hull drain plug in the transom and feed the oil line through. I have another hose I use to extend to the drain pan I leave on the floor. I let gravity do the work. After about 3 hours, nearly all the oil is out. I remove the filter, fill the one with oil and replace. I then put one qt of new in and wait to see clean oil coming through the tube. Then I plug the line and clean up.
    Don't forget to add the remaining oil. I use Valvoline 20-50 racing. I'll switch to synthetic once the break in is complete.
    There is a suction tool, but it too takes time.
    J
    I'm sure you'll get many more opinions on this topic.

essexjet
    My 502 has a drain line coming out of the drain plug hole. It has a plug on the end with a clip that allows it to be attached to the top of the engine on the hoist mount.
    Since I have plenty of time, I simply remove the hull drain plug in the transom and feed the oil line through. I have another hose I use to extend to the drain pan I leave on the floor. I let gravity do the work. After about 3 hours, nearly all the oil is out. I remove the filter, fill the one with oil and replace. I then put one qt of new in and wait to see clean oil coming through the tube. Then I plug the line and clean up.
    Don't forget to add the remaining oil. I use Valvoline 20-50 racing. I'll switch to synthetic once the break in is complete.
    There is a suction tool, but it too takes time.
    J
    I'm sure you'll get many more opinions on this topic.
    Git R, I have the same set up as jbone. If you dont have this set, I would look into it have done. There is a way that is to "suck" the oil up through the dip stick. You have to get a pump to do this.

LVjetboy
    There IS a tech forum called Just Jets. A bit more appropriate than The Sandbar for this post. H*ll even v-drive tech may be a better choice for your "oil drain" question.
    jer

mike37
    you can get a pump to pump the oil out the dipstick at any wall mart this time of year they will have it in the boat section its a hand pump it work but takes time

mike37
    this is the best way it from west marine (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=10677)
    its a vacum pump you pump it up and walk away it sucks the oil out
    http://www.westmarine.com/images/full/22693_f.jpg

BarryMac
    this is the best way it from west marine (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=10677)
    its a vacum pump you pump it up and walk away it sucks the oil out
    http://www.westmarine.com/images/full/22693_f.jpg
    Becareful using this, most of these only hold 5 quarts and you engine probably holds 8, I found this out the hard way with my last boat, it can make quite a mess. :supp:
    The best bet is what essexjet and jbone mentioned, if you don't have the hose coming off of your drain plug I would highly recommend adding it, I have seen them at Marine Stores, I believe Rex sells tham as well, it makes the job a whole lot easier. I personally got a hand pump that hooks onto a Cordless drill, 6' of clear 3/8" tubing, cut it in half put a piece on each end of the Pump, attach it too the tube attached to your drain plug and syphon (sp) works pretty good, the oil doesn't need to be hot to suck it out, it does take some time thopugh so patience is of the essence...

OGShocker
    Typical "newbie" to post a "TECH" question in the SandBar. You might as well learn this now rookie, we save this area of the forum for useless dribble, photos of hooters (covered a bit) and the best damn DRAMA in the boating world. With that being said,
    :crossx: Welcome to the JUNGLE!!! :crossx: