Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpha 1 SS

1_Gunner
    Can anyone tell me about the Alpha 1 SS outdrive?
    When was it made?
    Where can you find one?
    What are they worth?
    Thanks

Infomaniac
    I just sold one. Actually it was installed on a boat. They were made for about 2 or 3 years around 1992. They use a standard alpha upper but have a very short lower unit. Nose cone built in, very big internal parts. Mine was 1.3 ratio. I had a blown small block in front of it 635 ft/lbs and 535 HP. Ran it that way for 9 years. Never had a bit of trouble. I rarely did any wide open hole shots with it, and made sure I was on plane before putting the hammer down. 21' boat.
    I heard they put them behind Mercruiser 454's also.
    Cannot help you with what they are worth. I do know you can still buy any individual piece for it from Mercury. Cannot find a new complete unit anywhere.
    Here you go. Pic taken about a month ago.
    http://members.cox.net/infomaniac/ss.jpg

Ronnie
    If anyone has one are knows where one is please let me know. I am looking for an Alpha 1 1.65 ratio.
    Thanks Ronnie

Tinkerboater
    I dont think that is a true alpha SS. The alpha SS has the same bottom end as the standard alpha but uses a 2-1/2 inch shorter top case. And a shorter vertical shaft and shift shaft. I had one built for my first boat.You might still be able to buy the parts to make your own. They wont handle any wore HP than the stock alpha. I did gain quite a few mph with the shorter drive. They use the same internal parts except the two vertical shafts as the stock drives so they are not any stronger than the stock drives.
    [This message has been edited by Tinkerboater (edited June 04, 2002).]

Infomaniac
    Originally posted by Tinkerboater:
    I dont think that is a true alpha SS. The alpha SS has the same bottom end as the standard alpha but uses a 2-1/2 inch shorter top case. And a shorter vertical shaft and shift shaft. I had one built for my first boat.You might still be able to buy the parts to make your own. They wont handle any wore HP than the stock alpha. I did gain quite a few mph with the shorter drive. They use the same internal parts except the two vertical shafts as the stock drives so they are not any stronger than the stock drives.
    [This message has been edited by Tinkerboater (edited June 04, 2002).]
    I believe you are mistaken sir. That is most definately an Alpha SS. It is quite a bit stronger than a stock Alpha. If not what is it?

Tinkerboater
    WELL the true ALPHA SS has a shorter upper case not a shorter lower case. And since they use the same gears,bearings and horizontal shafts as the stock drive they won't be any stronger. The only real difference is the upper case and the 2 1/2 inch shorter vertical shaft in the lower case and the shift shaft in the lower case that is also 2 1/2 inches shorter. Yes you can get stronger gears for the alpha drive but they will fit both drives the same. I put one togeather I should know. Why don't you look it up.

Infomaniac
    Originally posted by Tinkerboater:
    Why don't you look it up.
    Don't need to. I bought many parts for this one over the years. Did not know you had to build an Alpha SS. This one had matching numbers top and bottom, and came stock with the bigger gears.
    You did not answer my question. What is this drive in the picture if it is not an Alpha SS?

MIKEHTMSR24
    I bought a 1988 Baja Sport 220 with a 454/330 and had a alpha SS on it. I was told by the dealership that the 454/330 was at the limits of the drive. The Bravo came out in 88 also. I had the boat for a few years with no problems.
    I also have a buddy with a Vortech 400 small block. It is in a 24 Python. Runs in the mid to high 80's here in the humid land of SC.

1_Gunner
    You did not answer my question. What is this drive in the picture if it is not an Alpha SS?
    I just lined up a verified SS Alpha and your pic looks identical. Ratio is 1.32. Hope to install it next week.
    It should make the 400hp 383 I just installed in my 19' family bowrider quite a sleeper sport toy.......
    I may have to velcro the kids in!!!
    [This message has been edited by 1_Gunner (edited June 05, 2002).]

Tinkerboater
    The gears are the same as in an alpha -- LOOK IT UP. And I made mine because I could-WHY WOULD I PAY TWICE FOR AN ALPHA LOWER WHEN I ALREADY HAD ONE. What I said was it probably wasn't an ALPHA SS because YOU said that it was stronger and had a shorter lower. Both of these statements are wrong. PROVE ME WRONG.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast