Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fuel tank switching

Dans66Stevens
    Yeah I have a Tee too both tanks. This works great however im afraid that I will get stuck in P=Pedestrian.... Another words swim for it. I have no gauges or a place to put one. Also with my set-up once in a while the thing gets a bug up its ASS and draws off one tank. This is why I have thought about the valve idea. Run the one real low and use the other for a reserve. Just a thought.

Bubbledeck2
    My tanks are Teed as well with a manual shut off valve for each one. Manual valves almost ALWAYS work! A free benefit to a system like that is that it can give you a "reserve". Once I ran out of gas. Since my ass is fat and my girlfriends ass is not (yet), the tank on her side ran out before mine did. I just turned off the empty tank and had enough left in the other to get me to the ramp.
    As for the fuel gauges they are about as accurate as weather forecasters. I use the gauge in my head.

Nash
    I have to say, my gauges are almost right on. I hear that comment from people that either don't have them, or can't afford them. When one or the other is showing less than an 1/8th, in a 20 gal tank, I end up putting in close to 17 gals. In my boat, like my cars, I keep records of fuel consumption as well as oil. If your running the same gauges that were in it in 76', then I'd suggest taking a stick along. Fuel gauges, F pressure, oil pressure, oil temp, volt. One can't be crap when you watch the others. I went to a GPs speedo and it matches my Magellan Map 410 to the button. I can run from Kathrins Landing, spend and hour in the basin skiing, continue on to Cottonwood and have a flat needle with a tank that needs 18-19 gals, w/4 people. I'm sure as time goes on, I'll need to replace the tank assembly, but for now, my gauges treat me good.

Bubbledeck2
    Originally posted by Nash:
    I have to say, my gauges are almost right on. I hear that comment from people that either don't have them, or can't afford them.
    I have fuel gauges and the certificate of title to my boat, so I guess I can afford them.
    My tanks are long and low, so the angle of the dangle can severely skew what the gauge says.
    btw, are you a weather forecaster? heh

SK48
    Auto parts store valves are not coast guard approved. There are no longer solonoid valves that should be used in inboard boats. Need the expensive Imco valve and I think Eddie marine might make one. Not worth having a fire over a few bucks.

ratso
    HH...Do you have any regrets since you made the switch?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12