Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Today is Fibromyalgia Awareness Day

FMluvswater
    I hate to say this, but a lot of people refer to this as TBD.........Tired But Disease- reason..................
    I believe it was already brought up in the first couple of posts on this thread...
    A lot of people are diagnosed with FM that don't have it.......
    I don't have an opinion on it because I'm not educated enough on this specific condition................
    Does anyone know if this is just a name for a condition, or is there specific blood test that actually proves a person has FM?
    ~NORD~
    Currently there is no diagnostic blood test to confirm fibromyalgia. I'm hopeful there may be someday. I was reading last night about an anti-body study I can't find the one I was reading but I found another mention of it here (http://www.autoimmune.com/NewsRel10Feb99.html).
    "Using a patented blood test called the Anti-Polymer Antibody Assay, or APA Assay, researchers found anti-polymer antibodies in approximately one-half of all patients who were diagnosed with fibromyalgia and in more than 60% of the fibromyalgia patients with severe fibromyalgia symptoms. Patients with diseases frequently confused with fibromyalgia, including rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, and systemic sclerosis/scleroderma, had a much lower incidence of these antibodies than did the fibromyalgia patients."
    The one I was reading said even that test was not definitive that if someone who met all other criteria for FM diagnosis did not test positive it didn't mean they didn't have FM but that there might be other reasons for a negative result.
    I don't need a blood test to prove to me that I have FM - I live with this every single day; it couldn't be more real. However, if they come up with a blood test to diagnose it, that would sure be less stressful to admit to being fibromyalgic as easily as someone with say diabetes is able to admit to being diabetic without being frowned at and met with skepticism.

Nord
    Thats interesting, so these people might have something else wrong with them, or.......
    A lot of people claim this condition hence the mock of "Tired Butt Disease"
    sad

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345