Thread: OVER TRANSOM HEADERS

sleek
    I HAVE A 73 SLEEKCRAFT WITH A OLDS 455 THAT WAS REBUILT OVER THE WINTER. MY PERFORMANCE MARINE EXHAUST LOGS ARE WARPED AND HAVE BEEN PLAINED OVER AND OVER AND NOW I THINK THAT IT IS TIME TO BUY NEW ONES. SHOULD I BUY BASSETTS INSTEAD? WILL I HATE THE NOISE COMPARED TO THE THROUGH THE HULL STYLE OR IS IT WORTH THE ADDED PERFORMANCE AND LOOK TO DEAL WITH THE NOISE LEVEL. ALSO, WILL I NEED TO CHANGE MY SET UP ON THE BOAT. IT HAS A 750 CARB ON A HOLLEY STREET DOMINATOR SINGLE PLAIN INTAKE. THE CAM IS A COMP CAM 545 LIFT AND IS HAS 10 TO 1 PISTONS WITH STOCK G CASTING HEADS. ANY INFO IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Q-ball
    Sleek, I have a nice set of polished aluminum nicson exhaust manifolds, and a VERY NICE set of polished harden exhaust manifolds and one set of aluminum risers with the ability to be either a 2 7/8" outlet or a much larger outlet if you cut them back. Both sets of manifolds are straight and fit a 455 olds. Have you priced a new set of manifolds lately?, you better e-mail me first.

Kwicherbichen
    Sleek, I have over-the-top headers and well.....I like that style. A couple of things you may want to consider are:
    COST: A new set of OTH's cost around $600. Shop for a good used set first.
    NOISE: I don't know where you're at, but here in So. Cal there are noise restrictions almost everywhere. OTH's are going to be a problem unless you invest in some mufflers. Whereas, I have seen guy with through transom just cruise on by. A good example would be the recent HTM crash. Those guys had an "in" and I'll bet that boat was plenty loud. Yet they never even got a second look while driving at 150 mph. On the other hand, if I showed up at Castaic in my 60 mph boat with OTH the law would be all over my ass. Just ask HBjet. He couldn't launch at Castaic without mufflers and his boat doesn't do 150 mph (yet).
    Brian

HavasuDreamin'
    I agree with K-bitchen. I live in the mid-west and it really doesn't matter what your rig looks like or how it performs, if it has over the transom headers, you will get attention from Mr. Cop. Love the looks this way, but it is a must to go with mufflers or your asking for trouble!