Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I may be headed to the dark side but rare boat find.

CandyA$$
    So you going to change the slimer?
    Sorry but I can't help it.
    Those are the ones that you could actually lay under the deck and still have plenty of room, correct?

1978 Rogers
    Total kick ass retro. Flake looks good. I love the arm rest in the back seat. Keep the stereo. She's a beut Clark.

blowngas
    very nice boat----but please, take the trailer (very cautiously) to a welder and have him mount a guard for the prop and rudder or you will knock one or the other or transom off the boat---look at some other v-drive trailers how the guards are built---do it first thing before the bad happens

kingjason,
    Here's a few pictures of an early Glastron V-drive, taken at the 1965 Berryessa 6 hour marathon.
    It was powered by a 427 FE Ford. The bottom on the boat here, U-74, is the famous, new at the time, Agua-Lift bottom that Hammond and the others at Glastron dveloped. It's also the bottom that Dick Schuster used for his 16' Tahiti in late 64.
    15 boats sunk that year at that marathon.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ronvdrive2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...tronvdrive.jpg

lucky
    At one time it had a 600 hp Keith Black and would run over 90mph. Now it has a super healthy 455 Olds.
    looking at your hardware - id say some one was blowing smoke up your arse ! that's a 55 mph boat and thats all i'd take it wiht that brass hardware ( no offence - )

kingjason
    Boat was owned by Harold Wilkerson who Bob Hammond hired in 1969. I heard the story three times about the speed of this boat from his brother/ and his daughter. Harold worked with the race team and was an engineering marvel from what I understand. May not of ran 90 but I bet it was alot more then 50. The motor compartment of this thing is laid out awsome. I cant remeber exactly what KB his brother said it had but hell it could have been blown or something. There is a picture on the Glastron board of him standing on top of one of theyre race boats tinkerring with something.
    J

kingjason
    Hey old rigger are you saying this thing is going to go down the lake like that over the water. Hmmm not sure that would leave me an easy feeling. Well would be good lift though.

victorfb
    damn, look at that water.... yea id say youll get aired out like that in water that rough. talk about swell jumpin...wooohoooo!!!!! :supp:

Hey old rigger are you saying this thing is going to go down the lake like that over the water. Hmmm not sure that would leave me an easy feeling. Well would be good lift though.
    No I'm not saying that jayson. Thoses pictures were from one of the roughest marathons in history. Like I said 15 boats sunk that day because of the water. And the bottom on the boat you're looking at is much different than that old glastron. The deep entry was removed, just like Roger Weiman did to his old Rogers bottom. I don't know how'd it'd ride. Hammond is a very well respected boat guy, there has to be some truth to the story I'd think, although 90 is pretty lofty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12