Thread: 70s 23' Sleekcraft cuddy, BBC/Jacuzzi???

RedAllison
    Ok ok yeah Im a "clamp on runner" (basser first, waterplayer second) but I was raised around squirt boats (My dad Tom McFarland and his buddy Robbie Richmond ran very succesful [numerous national record holders in old SDBA and the like] comp jets in the 70s and dad also ran boats for his cousin "Little Mac" McFarland of Memphis "Macs Mafia". Dads uncle Porter McFarland of Memphis ran his "Ugly Ducklin" Blown Gas jet from one of the country to the other until he was killed in it in 77. [I remember when the Brazos race was HUGE!] Porter had a marine dealership in Memphis that specialized in turnkey drag boats [ah the good ole days huh?] and sold them coast to coast. Our cousin Boddie Council also built the Sunkist hulls for along time in Memphis as well.) Dad lives in Hot Springs, Ark now and is considering another boat (weve been runnin Harleys for several years and after 9 bypasses in 7 months lastyear, he is "kickin back").
    This weekend I was over there and he showed me 2 boats he was interested in. The first a VERY clean 22' Scarab/SBC/Alpha One that is being sold by the deceased owners family. The other is one that belongs to a fellow that works for dad. Its a 70s (cant remember exactly what he said, want to say 74 but mayve been later) 23' Sleekcraft cuddy jet. It has a 468 BBC and a Jacuzzi (cant remember which model). The boats interior was flawless and I believe it was recently refurbished (a simple headliner in the cabin needs replacement). The motor and pump are sound and the bottom really surprised me, it was very clean and almost perfect. The paint is original and typical of 70s colors (yellow, white, gold trim and "woodgrain" around the uppersection). The cabin/interior cover was perfect and fit every snap and was tight. The fiberglass swimdeck had two small cracks above the pump that could easily be replaced. The chrome bow rail, rear intakes and gas caps were fine as well. The trailer looked to have fairly new bunks and carpet yet it would need a complete repaint and brake upgrade (understandable as the owner lives only minutes from the lake, I would be towing near an hour and would redo the trailer regardless).
    All in all a good ole boat for a second or "family boat" for no more than what I thought was being asked for it. The guy wants $5500.00 for it and I bet $5k dead Presidents in a lunchsack would take it home. It has spent its life in the clear/clean water mountain lakes around Hot Springs, Ark and its care and condition showed. I wouldnt call it a 100% showboat, but it certainly wasnt a typical near 30 year old lake boat either.
    Ive been out of the jet scene for years and never really had experience with Sleekcrafts anyway. Is this a good old boat and is the price decent given the condition Ive described. Again Im not lookin for a monster to be (I think Ive got that taken care of with my 225SS ProMax "clampon" on my Allison), just maybe an affordable family boat that is like my other toys... different!
    Thanks ahead of time,
    RA

curt
    i''m happy with my 76 21 footer Mine had seen some salt and had an olds 455 with a jacuzzi. Its a solid lake boat with a nice ride no speed demon mid sixties . Turns heads because of the old styling seats an so forth. 70's babe magnet ? more later

DEEZ NUTTS
    A friend of mine has a 22' scarab with sbcmag and alpha. Its decent in rougher water but tops at mid to high 50s.

e-ticket
    RedAllison
    Is the Sleekcraft this style?
    This one sold for $5000
    http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gear...tn_73slk-2.JPG
    Totally restored w/460 Ford Jacuzzi jet. It was a nice solid boat. Only did about 55mph.
    (Larger pic in Gearhead Garage)
    [This message has been edited by e-ticket (edited May 30, 2002).]

Hustler
    I would make sure you find out what kind of pump it is, if its a yj pump you can expect to spend anywhere from 1500 to 1800 for an energizer kit to bring it up to par, if it is a wj you can add a place diverter and do some up grades for under 1000.
    Good luck
    Hustler

I've owned a few jet boats, two were Sleekcraft 27' (1973 and now currently own a 1980).
    The 73 was a IO with a 350. Boat ran well but I kept knocking the hell out of the prop running Lake Mead (sumerged obstacles and not paying attention). I recently purchased the 1980 with a 454 with 12JE pump. Sleekcraft made a strong and sound boat, and from what you have described, I would jump on it. The larger boats aren't as fast, but you keep your kidney's and other vital organs in place and you hold a somewhat normal conversation in them since the engine is covered.
    By the way, I thought I recalled seeing the "Ugly Duckling" in a race on Lake Mead and another race in Mexico, both around the mid 70's??

sdmarkus
    Hustler,
    What kind of upgrades are you talking about for the Jacuzzi wj? I want a place diverter, and the enegizer kit sounded pretty pricey, don't think I can afford both right now.
    Thanks,
    Mark

RedAllison
    Thanks for the replys guys (btw, propless I am 30 so I was very small when Porter was around [still remember him tho he was a great ole gearhead], he had a GMC motorhome and went from coast to coast, you very well coulda seen him). Yes eticket, that pic you showed looked very similar to the one Im askin about.
    Im still not 100% sure on this boat (ANOTHER boat is a tough sell to that long legged blonde that has half my chit [and could get the other half if she wanted], lives with me and is the mother of my children). Im just 'what ifn' at this point. I considered a 502 crate engine and another pump if I did get this boat but would then have $15k+ in my "bargain" $5k lake player. Guess I would just beef up the 468 (But would want it to do 60+ anyway, or I would feel hamstrung). What kinda hp would it take to get this barge in the low to mid 60s? I really wouldnt want to get all radical with forced induction and of juice. Just a healthy ole torque monster that would pull tubes, plane when full of kinis and neighbors wives (lol) and just push the needle north of 60.
    Pump wise, I realize mid and upper 20'ers are about as big as most pumps are gonna allow for now days. What about that new "double pump" (cant remember the name)? Anyone had one of these or know much about them? Ive only seen the ads in Hot Boat but never seen one on the lake. And cost?
    Thanks again and keep the dry side up this weekend,
    RA

77charger
    Originally posted by sdmarkus:
    Hustler,
    What kind of upgrades are you talking about for the Jacuzzi wj? I want a place diverter, and the enegizer kit sounded pretty pricey, don't think I can afford both right now.
    Thanks,
    Marki dont know what he did exactly but have heard he is happy with the results do know he now has a place diverter.you can talk to jack@mpd about it (949)631-2040