Thread: Copper Gaskets....

Flip
    I got some copper gaskets to try and seal up my logs this year. Getting tired of listening to that damn exhaust leak. Do I need to use any RTV/Ultra Black when putting these gaskets on? What about torque specs? Can you OVER tighten them?

If they are embossed like the copper SCE no sealant is required. The embossed side goes towards the header or manifold to allow for any irregularities in the surface, flat side against the head which should be flat. Don't know if they have a torque spec. Good and snug but don't break the bolt off has always worked for me.

Flip
    Cool, thanks Rex. I did get the embossed SCE ones.

GofastRacer
    Just a little tip here. Logs are meant to be installed like factory cast iron manifolds "no gaskets" if you use gaskets they will tweak and won't seal. The way to do it is to make sure the head surface is perfectly clean(surface if necessary) and mill the logs flat, garonteed you won't ever have a leak as long as they are tight!..

Blown 472
    Ford bolts their exhaust manifolds right to the head, we used to use silver spray paint and bolt them up, never leaked.

GofastRacer
    Ford bolts their exhaust manifolds right to the head, we used to use silver spray paint and bolt them up, never leaked.
    So does Chevy!.

78Eliminator
    Really? I have worked on cars/trucks with 302s and 351s and they always had gaskets. Are you just talking big block?

GofastRacer
    Well haven't messed with small blocks much but I had a 74 Ford van back in the day with a 302 and it didn't have any gaskets??????

Log manifolds with gaskets are bad news. The gasket will allow the flange to warp as it will collapse at the bolt/stud. When you go over everything and check tightness and find they are loose your 1st though is to tighten them further warping them. On my BBF I use no gaskets and a thin coating of hi-temp silicone, this seals just fine with turbochargers where there is more back pressure than a N/A engine and the logs have never warped.