Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Twin engines in a 29' boat. Why?

MagicMtnDan
    Good points and, from the sound of things for at least one twin owner (with the "Life Saver" gel job), the speed gain has, so far, been questionable.
    In a 29' boat I would of went with a single 525/575. How much speed will you gain with twin 496's - not that much. You'll have double the maintanence. The shops love twins, back one in and get paid for 2.
    Insurance will be higher, they think with 2 motors it'll go twice as fast.
    As far as reliability and piece of mind while offshore, buy vessel assist and a radio and let them tow you in.
    The manueverability with twins can't be beat. Will your 29 get up on plane with only 1 motor. I had bigger boats and no way could you get it on plane with only 1. It would stay on plane with only one, almost shiat when the boat builder shut one motor off at 60mph on a test drive.
    Most twins only run 1 power steering pump. Sucks when the motor that goes down is the one with the pump. Makes for a tuff job limping back on 1 motor with no steering.

Formula Dude
    Twins in a 29 V is good especially if the boat is 8000 lbs+. On a cat you could accomplish the same with a single application with more horsepower.
    With twins on V with stock 454's you burn a minimum of 25+ gals. per hour cruising at just 50 miles per hour. If you do your own maintenance twins are a bitch especially a boat that small - no space. Double everything, from impellers, to filters and oil.

MagicMtnDan
    Is this like the question, "why do women have two boobs?"

Tom Brown
    Go for twin blenders. The chicks will be all over it.

LHC30Victory
    all I can say is:
    Twins are GREAT

wsuwrhr
    Safety (redundancy)
    Nothing sounds better than twins!
    Much less stress on the O/D's
    Bling
    Gas bills!
    Word up.
    Brian

spectras only
    Have twins in a 257' boat [ 24 without the built in swimstep] .Is it overkill ? Not when you crossing 26+ miles in snotty weather , and seatow is min 1/2 hour away :wink: .
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/000_0144%20copy.jpg

rivercrazy
    I should have said "nothing sounds better than screaming twins!"
    One other thing is a much more stable ride in the rough and going fast

INSman
    Yeah, what Ted said !!!!!
    all I can say is:
    Twins are GREAT

stoker
    In a 29' boat I would of went with a single 525/575. How much speed will you gain with twin 496's - not that much. You'll have double the maintanence. The shops love twins, back one in and get paid for 2.
    Insurance will be higher, they think with 2 motors it'll go twice as fast.
    As far as reliability and piece of mind while offshore, buy vessel assist and a radio and let them tow you in.
    The manueverability with twins can't be beat. Will your 29 get up on plane with only 1 motor. I had bigger boats and no way could you get it on plane with only 1. It would stay on plane with only one, almost shiat when the boat builder shut one motor off at 60mph on a test drive.
    Most twins only run 1 power steering pump. Sucks when the motor that goes down is the one with the pump. Makes for a tuff job limping back on 1 motor with no steering.
    Why didn't you tell me all this when I bought my last boat?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast