Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wicked Performance Boats !!!!

Brooski
    And the million dollar question still goes unanswered???? If you don't yet have an answer just say you haven't got that far yet. :supp: :wink:
    Is Mikey feeling like he is being ignored??? :umm: lol

Wicked Performance Boats
    And the million dollar question still goes unanswered???? If you don't yet have an answer just say you haven't got that far yet. :supp: :wink:
    I don't have a deal lockedup yet, but close. When I do, your'll know, easy Mike

Wicked Performance Boats
    Thanks , old rigger We don't see why there would be a problem either. Mr.&Mrs. Wicked

MudPumper
    I don't have a deal lockedup yet, but close. When I do, your'll know, easy Mike
    LOL, can't wait to see one popped from the mold, good luck and keep us posted. :rollside:

superdave013
    Just so I am clear on this! Are you guys saying that most boat companies do not build thier own hulls. They basically just rig them when they are out of the mold? If this is the case then what is the difference between the hulls if they are all laid up by the same person? Just a question!
    Some do and some don't. Out here in CA the EPA is pretty hard on VOC's that come off the mold when the glass is curing. They are really starting to clamp down on the boating industry too.
    So for a small shop to put in some type of solvant abatment system like the oxidizers I build it would cost to much. So..... there are a few large glass shops that are doing a lot of layups for a lot of different companies.
    Now the boats are not the same because the molds are different. I've seen many boats layed up by the same place. But they are totaly different because some manintain their molds and others just pop boats out of them.

Just so I am clear on this! Are you guys saying that most boat companies do not build thier own hulls. They basically just rig them when they are out of the mold? If this is the case then what is the difference between the hulls if they are all laid up by the same person? Just a question!
    you bring up a great point. There are quite a few shops that do not lay up their own hulls. They farm it out to different guys that are set up to do that. the AQMD killed off some of the smaller shops with their smog laws.
    So, when you do buy a boat from a guy that doesn't do his own glass work, what do you get thats different from another guys boat being laid up at this shop, besides the shape of the boat? Not much really, just the way it was rigged and little else. If you have a problem with the gel or glass work, your 'manufacturer' is nothing more than a middle man that's going to have you drop off your boat and then he'll take it to his guy to be fixed.
    To me it's a huge disadvantage dealing with a shop with no glass dept. What's the point? The lay-up is everything.
    One more time, the lay-up is everything.
    If it's not being done in house there's no control over it. You're at the mercy of someone else doing the most important step in building a boat.

I thought that this is what made each boat company different, unique.
    you are 100% correct

superdave013
    I wouldn't let it scare you to bad. Yes, small places like Schiada are laying up their own boats and doing a great job. Some of the big guys like Howard and Eliminator (sp) are also doing it and doing it very well.
    But for most of these little shops that farm it out to shops like the well known one in Corona I think those guys will do as good of a job or better then someone who doesn't do it all the time.
    The AQMD is just going to get worse for these guys too. I put some equipemnt in both Lasco bathware and Artesian spas not long ago. The cost of that would put 99% of the smaller shops (and some large shops too) out of biz real quick. And if it didn't it sure would jack up the price of your boat!

sdpm
    you bring up a great point. There are quite a few shops that do not lay up their own hulls. They farm it out to different guys that are set up to do that. the AQMD killed off some of the smaller shops with their smog laws.
    So, when you do buy a boat from a guy that doesn't do his own glass work, what do you get thats different from another guys boat being laid up at this shop, besides the shape of the boat? Not much really, just the way it was rigged and little else. If you have a problem with the gel or glass work, your 'manufacturer' is nothing more than a middle man that's going to have you drop off your boat and then he'll take it to his guy to be fixed.
    To me it's a huge disadvantage dealing with a shop with no glass dept. What's the point? The lay-up is everything.
    One more time, the lay-up is everything.
    If it's not being done in house there's no control over it. You're at the mercy of someone else doing the most important step in building a boat.
    Check with most of the "builders" and I think you will find that most of them do not even do their own repairs! It's much harder to do repairs and not cost effective to them. As far as the lay-up, I would much rather have a company that is set up for this and has workers that do it all the time and not a "glass shop" that does many other things. A lamination shop go's thru material faster and has fresher and cleaner stuff to work with. The workers do the same thing day in and day out. They are very good and trained at what they do. And you do have some control of what they do. If it is not right you don't take it!! Bottom line! That falls on the company selling the boat.

I am sort of dissapointed finding this out to be honest. I had heard this some time ago but really never understood what it meant. At least can some baot companies say to the glass guy, to use a different type of material, for instance Kevlar. Do they have any control over the lay up process. Meaning if the boat seems to be laid up wrong do they send it back, or is all of the quality control done by the glass guys.
    One more question, and then I should probably start a new thread.
    WHICH BOAT COMPANIES HONESTLY BUILD THEIR BOATS?
    Sure, the glass shop can lay-up each companys hull differently, but that's not the point. It's should be done in house. Bottom line is I don't think people give a shit, they're sold the boat with flash and graphics, and wiz bang financing, and slick salemen and blah, blah, blah. Ask one of salesmen them the lamanation schedule at a boat show and what thier eyes glaze over.
    If you're going to buy a new boat, visit the shop. You'll smell the lamanation room long before you'll see it. Go visit a shop like Howards to see how it's done the right way.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast