Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Wicked Performance Boats !!!!

superdave013
    cole13, this is nothing different then any other industry. Do you really think Target makes all the Target branded stuff??
    If he raised his prices you would go some place else for the "bro" deal.

MudPumper
    Howard is doing it the right way for now. That will change soon and they will have to step up to sometype of VOC control. Just the way it is.
    OldRigger, if you think the AQMD was a hard ass in the 80's you should see what it's like in 2,005. lol
    Our sales team has been targeting the boating industry lately. Mostly the big guys like Bayliner, Sea Ray and the blue water guys that are really pumping boats out. But that's just the start. It will trickel down to eveyone else. And as it sould if you want to keep breathing.
    Just wait, it will happen soon. I live in Valencia (where Howard is located) and the city now requires auto shops to only use water based degreasers and cleaners, no more solvent tanks allowed. Not only are the environmentalist cracking down but also City and County too. I'm sure the boat buisiness isn't far behind.
    On a side note, next time you are next to a Howard, look down the side or across the deck, you won't find a single wave in the glass. It is a work of art if you ask me. Just wish I could afford one.

Zeug
    cole13, this is nothing different then any other industry. Do you really think Target makes all the Target branded stuff??
    If he raised his prices you would go some place else for the "bro" deal.
    SuperDave is right. It's called specialization and it's in every industry. I'm in the Defense Satcom industry and it's everywhere. Business 101......

sdpm
    A great example of that, and a rare one, is Scotton.
    The same company that lays up his lays up mine! Who's hulls are better? Not boats but hulls? I'll be glad to name a few more. Who's are better. Then let's go to the upholstery. :argue:

superdave013
    Also superdave, I did not forget about you. I counted the pieces I need and it looks like 25 or so (depending on if I do the water lines) The promblem is that I am not near you. So do I just ship the old lines to you to have the new lines made up????
    You could do that. It will cost more due to my labor for putting them together. I think you could do it yourself with some instruction. Then you can make each hose fit just right over a lil long so it's sure to not be to short.
    I'm heading on vacation for 1 week in about 2 hours. When I get back I'll contact you and go over everything with you.

MudPumper
    You could do that. It will cost more due to my labor for putting them together. I think you could do it yourself with some instruction. Then you can make each hose fit just right over a lil long so it's sure to not be to short.
    Dave, this right here is a perfect example of what a STAND UP guy you are. I have never met you, but eveybody speaks highly of you and when it comes time for me to do stainless lines you will be the one getting my business.

cole13
    I'm heading on vacation for 1 week in about 2 hours. When I get back I'll contact you and go over everything with you.
    Thank you, and have a wonderful trip?

My post may have sounded like I favor the "farming out" deal, obviously in house lay-ups are ideal, but lets be realistic, guys like Scotten and Papp cannot afford all these things SD013 mentions.
    Sure Howard is doing it the right way, but can we compare Cal. Performance with Howard?
    Im pretty damn sure Cal perf. would be lucky to sell a dozen boats this year.
    CS
    Scotton made a choice from the begining not to have a shop at all, that's realistic part about it. His deal was no different that Rogers (where Bill got his start) when it came to low volume boat production. Roger chose to control every thing about the construction of his hulls, and the care of his molds. They were the finest I ever saw.
    I think you can compare Howards to CPs. Howard is certainly not a high number builder in any way. Just high dollar.
    And another thing, just because a shop does have a lamanation room, certainly doesn't mean they know what they're doing. lol

I would say right now the printing industry is our largest customer. But the styrine processes like spas and bathtubs are catchin up quick. (they make tubs with chopper guns just like OR did boats back in the day LMAO, j/k Rich lol)
    I never used a chopper gun in my life!
    Maybe I should have learned, lots of happy bayliner owners in the world. Could have made a fortune. lol

sdpm
    A great example of that, and a rare one, is Scotton.
    So we know this "Boat Builder" does not build his own hulls. He lives pretty far away from the builder. Does he rig "his" boats and does he build all his custom engines? I don't recall seeing his machine shop. Just checking. I as well am trying to get informed.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast