Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Wicked Performance Boats !!!!

Wow ... this did ruffle a few feathers!
    Well, to Mr.&Mrs Budlight, good luck with your adventure! I hope that you're not put off by all of this. It takes a lot of guts to start your own business and I wish you all of the best.
    As far as the rest of this goes, most everyone knows who has been boating the so.cal scene for a while who lays up their own stuff and who dosen't.
    While I might not be the most knowledgeable on the subject (not being a boat mfg.), I would be completely fine with a builder farming out the hull lay up if it was done properly. I undersatnd how it "used to be" and where "it's going". What should be focused on is "who is doing it right" to the customer's satisfaction. And that is what Mr.&Mrs Budlight are attempting to do here. So let's get the thread back on track and applaud them for doing what some of the other mfg.'s are not ... trying to make us (the consumers) happy!
    Good luck!
    Brian

So we know this "Boat Builder" does not build his own hulls. He lives pretty far away from the builder. Does he rig "his" boats and does he build all his custom engines? I don't recall seeing his machine shop. Just checking. I as well am trying to get informed.
    I think he has a foundry too and casts his own blocks...........

sdpm
    Good answer!

Squirtin Thunder
    Well, to Mr.&Mrs Budlight, good luck with your adventure! I hope that you're not put off by all of this. It takes a lot of guts to start your own business and I wish you all of the best.
    As far as the rest of this goes, most everyone knows who has been boating the so.cal scene for a while who lays up their own stuff and who dosen't.
    While I might not be the most knowledgeable on the subject (not being a boat mfg.), I would be completely fine with a builder farming out the hull lay up if it was done properly. I undersatnd how it "used to be" and where "it's going". What should be focused on is "who is doing it right" to the customer's satisfaction. And that is what Mr.&Mrs Budlight are attempting to do here. So let's get the thread back on track and applaud them for doing what some of the other mfg.'s are not ... trying to make us (the consumers) happy!
    Good luck!
    Brian
    Well this seems to be the way things go here on Hot Boat !!!! I will say that there is allot of good info here. But some of the .................. and bullshit would be better left on the street. I have met Mr. & Mrs. Budlight two times and always with open arms. I feel they have a very good plan and with a little support, they will do well. But to help there boat Co. they may have to build two or three just for racing. To help show case the boats abilities. Now the SCSC (APBA) and the Njba would be great places to start.
    Just my thoughts
    Jim

flat broke
    Well this seems to be the way things go here on Hot Boat !!!! I will say that there is allot of good info here. But some of the .................. and bullshit would be better left on the street. I have met Mr. & Mrs. Budlight two times and always with open arms. I feel they have a very good plan and with a little support, they will do well. But to help there boat Co. they may have to build two or three just for racing. To help show case the boats abilities. Now the SCSC (APBA) and the Njba would be great places to start.
    Just my thoughts
    Jim
    Gullwings in circles eh??? You sure about that?
    Just pop out few "race deals" for promotion? Got 5k or so minimum for each hull?
    Like yourself, I wish the Budlights the best of luck in their new venture. I just hope they have been talking to knowledgeable folks when it comes to the business end of running a boat business. Lots of ways for folks with good intentions on running a company to get completely F'd by lawsuits etc. While we might not like to think about it, terms like ROI, overhead, loaded cost, etc. are present just as much in this industry as they are in any other. And just like in other industries, in the boating industry, the people who know the "business" side of things are still around, while the folks that don't (regardless of how nice of a boat they built) aren't. I hope Pat finds someone with the business savy for this particlar industry that can guide and temper his enthusiasm to produce these boats. Otherwise, it's highly likely that he'll just become another name on a list of owners for a set of molds. Personally, I think the recreational background of the boats themselves lends to the lacadasical business practices prevelant in many existing and extinct performance/custom boating companies. Approach the situation from a "business that builds boats" rather than a "let's build boats and have a business" mentality.
    Good luck Pat,
    Chris

Wicked Performance Boats
    Good luck!
    Brian
    Brian, Thank you for your support! That's our goal! To make affordable fast Styling hotrod boats for everyone! I have noticed over the years boat businesses, try to keep customers in the dark, like it's some blackart to make boats [not all] But I grew up building hotrods. I couldn't afford to buy them done. That's what gave me the love and appreciation for them. I have grown to feel that way about hotrod boats. If I could go buy a new car and put my own drive train in it I would. We believe people want to build their own boat. I know we do. So let's try to keep affordability into the hotrod boat business. If you just want a bare hull to build yourself, or trick parts to install yourself, as you can afford them, or a complete turnkey boat, mild to wild. We want to be your boat company. Mr.&Mrs Budlight (WPB)

Wicked Performance Boats
    Just my thoughts
    Jim
    Jim, Don't ya think this might be a good excuse for me to go racing? As if we need one. and I will have no problem laying up light fast boats! Budlight

Squirtin Thunder
    Gullwings in circles eh??? You sure about that?
    Just pop out few "race deals" for promotion? Got 5k or so minimum for each hull?
    Like yourself, I wish the Budlights the best of luck in their new venture. I just hope they have been talking to knowledgeable folks when it comes to the business end of running a boat business. Lots of ways for folks with good intentions on running a company to get completely F'd by lawsuits etc. While we might not like to think about it, terms like ROI, overhead, loaded cost, etc. are present just as much in this industry as they are in any other. And just like in other industries, in the boating industry, the people who know the "business" side of things are still around, while the folks that don't (regardless of how nice of a boat they built) aren't. I hope Pat finds someone with the business savy for this particlar industry that can guide and temper his enthusiasm to produce these boats. Otherwise, it's highly likely that he'll just become another name on a list of owners for a set of molds. Personally, I think the recreational background of the boats themselves lends to the lacadasical business practices prevelant in many existing and extinct performance/custom boating companies. Approach the situation from a "business that builds boats" rather than a "let's build boats and have a business" mentality.
    Good luck Pat,
    Chris
    Well if you remember the Mod VP class ???? Wouldn't a Gull be concidered a Mod Vee ??? I could be wrong ????????

Squirtin Thunder
    Jim, Don't ya think this might be a good excuse for me to go racing? As if we need one. and I will have no problem laying up light fast boats! Budlight
    Hell yes !!! Like you need an excuse !!!

djdtpr
    That's We believe people want to build their own boat. I know we do. So let's try to keep affordability into the hotrod boat business. If you just want a bare hull to build yourself, or trick parts to install yourself, as you can afford them, or a complete turnkey boat, mild to wild. We want to be your boat company. Mr.&Mrs Budlight (WPB)
    I am not trying to knock any of this or try and take anything away from your ideas and dreams at all so definatly dont take this that way.I dont know how comfortable i would be selling a bare hull that is carying my name on it and trusting someone else to rig it and set it up.There are plenty of people that have these kind of boats that are capable of doing it but there are plenty that arent also.I would hate to see one that was just thrown together and everyone looks at and frowns on it or makes the company look bad.Like i said just a thought not trying to start anything.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast