Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cracked impeller

FHI-prez
    Took my pump apart today just to check the health of the wear ring and back bushings and such. Well the wear ring and the wear surface looked pretty good. No chips or dings on the impeller blades anywhere. But on looking a bit closer there is a hairline crank in one of the impeller blades. It's an
    Aggressor B almost a year old to the day. The date stamped on it is 2004 may 10. So I called Duane from HTP (which is where I got it) and let him know that I'll be needing to order another one. But apparently he doesn't have any in stock right now. I'm pretty God Damn sure the crack is not from abuse, but rather a weak spot in the casting. The crack is within an 1/8" of the ouside diameter where it connects to the inside of the wear ring surface. The visible crack is about 1" long but that whole edge looks pretty thin to me, like it's been ground out too much or something to remove casting flaws I suppose. But the damn thing looks great other than that. I'm sure I could have it repaired, but I don't think it's worth risking my pump for a $300 part. If that blade cracked, I'm sure another one could and will too.
    Has anyone else had this problem with an Aggressor tenzaloy impeller? Should I look at another, like Berk, AT, or something? I'm a damn loyal customer when It comes to brands and such, but when I get burned once I have a hard time just slappin the same brand in again. That little crack could have been potentially fatal to the jet pump if I hadn't been bored and pulled the pump apart. :hammer2:
    In any case, Duane said he might be able to discount one for me but he won't know till next week if he can get one shipped out. This sumbitch is going in the water come hell or high water next weekend. I'll have to get one before the coming work week is over. Any suggestions?
    I need a berk A or equivalent. Help!
    thanks for reading this piece of crap,
    Nick
    By the way, I'm not suggesting it's Duane's fault and he should replace it. No way in hell would I expect someone to warrantee a part that goes through god only knows what kind of abuse for a year. I just want to get the god damn boat back in the water. :squiggle:

steelcomp
    A cracked Agressor impeller???????
    NO! Say it isn't so!!!! :hammerhea
    Should I look at another, like Berk, AT, or something?

FHI-prez
    A cracked Agressor impeller???????
    NO! Say it isn't so!!!! :hammerhea

Trust me I can appreciate the sarcasm. But I hadn't heard anything about Aggressor impellers cracking any more or any less that anything else. Have I missed something? Which brand would you suggest? I'd be willing to bet that you can get a shitty one from any company occasionally. The bad luck just happened to hit me this time. I really don't care at this point, I just need to get another impeller and wear ring.

DEL51
    My friend has a used stainless B impeller. I Am unsure what brand it is but I could get more info.If your ineterested, let me know.Chris

Duane HTP
    Like I said Nick, I do have Berkeley's , ATJ's and Dominator impellers in stock. If you'd rather have one of them, I can ship Monday. Really makes me no difference. I have had Aggressor parts on back order all year long. They are coming in very slowly. The reason I put you off till Monday, is because I could not get a hold of Aggressor today to see if the next order had been shipped yet. Let me know if you prefer something else.

steelcomp
    Trust me I can appreciate the sarcasm. But I hadn't heard anything about Aggressor impellers cracking any more or any less that anything else. Have I missed something? Which brand would you suggest? I'd be willing to bet that you can get a shitty one from any company occasionally. The bad luck just happened to hit me this time. I really don't care at this point, I just need to get another impeller and wear ring.
    The sarcasm comes from just the fact that these "cracked" Agressor impellers keep showing up. I'm not sure it's bad luck.
    In answer to your question, I posted this answer to basically the same question on a previous thread asking about weather or not Agressor has a bad reputation:
    Among certain people, absolutely. As for me, I have never had any personal experience with any of their products, but I've seen first hand, and heard second hand, of enough of their products failing for no reason except for what appeared to be poor quality control or manufacturing, that given the choice, I personally would neither use nor endorse their products. Please keep what I said in context. There are also a lot of their products out there that seem to work very well...you need to be your own judge.

Duane HTP
    Steelcomp, I know you don't like Aggressor, but I've had pretty good luck with them. 6 or 7 years ago when they were new in the business, we did have some cracked impellers. It was mostly from core shift problems. I think they have pretty well worked those problems out. I also have a lot of cracked Berkeley and some cracked American Turbine impellers lying around too. Does that mean they are all bad? I don't think so. All companies have parts that fail at some time or another. I remember when Dominator was the new player in the market. They had a terrible time keeping their bowls together, but they lived through it and made a pretty darned good pump. Legend had their problems too. I had a slew of their cracked impellers, but they too, solved their problems. So, all in all, I think the Aggressor Tinzalloy impeller is a pretty good value for the money spent. Some people don't agree. That's why we sell all brands.

steelcomp
    It's not that I don't like them, Duane. I've tried to be real clear on the fact that I really don't have any first hand experience with them. I'm just relaying data. I thought it was a little ironic that just a couple of weeks ago someone was selling another Agressor impeller because of the same "cracks". Just a few weeks ago one of their brand new bowls blew holes in itself. There seems to be a pattern here, and if asked, I'll give my opinion.
    Lets compare numbers, Duane. Out of how many Berk impellers sold do you think there are cracked ones laying around that weren't race hardened and/or abused? Now out of how many Agressor impellers sold are ones that have cracked prematurely or even failed brand new?? Lets do a little percentage comparison. Or not. I really don't care. The writing's on the wall.
    Bad reputations AFA products are concerned don't come from no where.
    Don't make this something personal, because I don't relate Agressor's rep to you or your business in any way, OK? :coffeycup Steelcomp, I know you don't like Aggressor, but I've had pretty good luck with them. 6 or 7 years ago when they were new in the business, we did have some cracked impellers. It was mostly from core shift problems. I think they have pretty well worked those problems out. I also have a lot of cracked Berkeley and some cracked American Turbine impellers lying around too. Does that mean they are all bad? I don't think so. All companies have parts that fail at some time or another. I remember when Dominator was the new player in the market. They had a terrible time keeping their bowls together, but they lived through it and made a pretty darned good pump. Legend had their problems too. I had a slew of their cracked impellers, but they too, solved their problems. So, all in all, I think the Aggressor Tinzalloy impeller is a pretty good value for the money spent. Some people don't agree. That's why we sell all brands.

FHI-prez
    Well, I sure don't want to start a flame Aggressor thread. I'm realistic, I do realize sometimes shit happens. I trust Duane's expertise and advice, he's been more than helpful to me in the past. I don't know the incidence of impeller failures of Aggressor as compared to AT, Berk, or anyone else for that matter, and frankly, I don't really care. I just need the boat together by next weekend. :crossx: Hopefully, this one will last me more than one season. The main reason I'm dissappointed is because I've been a good lil boy and really made a concerted effort to keep from abusing the pump. It's not always easy, but I figured it would pay off in the long run, well so far, my plan isn't working so hot.
    Nick

Jim Brock
    fhi-prez how much HP are you running?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast