Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cracked impeller

American Turbine Man
    I remember when Dominator was the new player in the market. They had a terrible time keeping their bowls together, but they lived through it and made a pretty darned good pump.
    Duane will you refresh my memory, I don't recall any broken bowls. ATM

LVjetboy
    "The main reason I'm dissappointed is because I've been a good lil boy and really made a concerted effort to keep from abusing the pump. It's not always easy, but I figured it would pay off in the long run, well so far, my plan isn't working so hot."
    I'm not a good lil boy and my SS Berk B is not cracked after 14 years. Yours is one year old?
    jer

Duane HTP
    No offense Steelcomp. I really couldn't really tell you the percentages one way or the other because I have no way of knowing the numbers. But I suppose it might lean towards the new kid on the block. I use them in a lot of applications because of the performance gains available. I like the way they pull out of the hole. You can go clear down to a "C" cut impeller, and still have a much better hole shot. Just my personal experience. I use a lot of the American Turbine impellers too. They are a quality piece. :wink:

Duane HTP
    ATM man, check your PM.

FHI-prez
    My friend has a used stainless B impeller. I Am unsure what brand it is but I could get more info.If your ineterested, let me know.Chris
    check your pm's

FHI-prez
    fhi-prez how much HP are you running?
    can't be over 450 with the 750 cfm carb. It runs about 68-70 mph. at 5100 rpm on a agressor B (berk A).

MudPumper
    FHI, do you have a loader???? I was running a brand new agressor AL impeller with about 500hp and the boat would not go over 68mph. The impeller came apart after about 5 trips. Come to find out, with no loader in my boat I was having a high speed cavitation which led to the demise of the impeller. After talking with Jack at MPD, he told me that if you are running over 65mph you really should be running a loader. Maybe something to look into.

FHI-prez
    FHI, do you have a loader???? I was running a brand new agressor AL impeller with about 500hp and the boat would not go over 68mph. The impeller came apart after about 5 trips. Come to find out, with no loader in my boat I was having a high speed cavitation which led to the demise of the impeller. After talking with Jack at MPD, he told me that if you are running over 65mph you really should be running a loader. Maybe something to look into.
    No I don't have a loader, but it something I have been thinking about. I guess it's possible that it is experiencing high speed cavitation. But, I'm inclined to think that's not the case as to why the impeller let go. I say this because I very rarely run it at full throtte. I use it for skiing and cruising primarially. I don't know if only a few short full throttle blasts could cause this but I'm no expert. I'll look into it further. I suppose my concern with running a loader is I'm afraid of debris getting into the intake. It seems to me that it would be pretty easy for a piece of crap to make it into the intake by a loader than by the stock rock grate. Granted any debris would have to be floating, maybe I'm worried about nothing, I don't know. I was planning on a shoe and ride plate. However, I don't know how much difference that would make at speed as far as loading the top part of the impeller. I appreciate the imput, I hadn't really thought of that. This is exactly why I don't want to rush to judgement on the product. I may have something off in my setup that's the culprit, not the piece itself. I must say tho, the impeller does look awful weak in the area it cracked. The other blades don't look the same in the same area, which is how I'm basing the "weak" statement.
    I do think it's about time I spent some time and money on a shoe/rideplate, snoot or droop, and possibly a loader.
    I'm pretty damn sure the boat is easily capable of late 70's speeds. The motor is being choked down pretty good by the 750 cfm carb. I know it's over cammed for that cfm. Good flowing aluminum heads, cam 244/254 dur @ .050 lift, and 588/614 lift. She could probably handle two small fours pretty well, but like I said, I use it for skiing, and more horsepower means more problems, I'd rather be on the water than in the shop. The new motor may have 20 hours on it, and it runs like hell with my bud's 850 demon on her. Some pump set up and moving the 28 gallon gas tank out of the bown and back by the engine would improve top end as well.
    Pic of boat:
    http://www.fordmuscle.com/pictures/p...pics%20006.jpg
    Nick

American Turbine Man
    No I don't have a loader, but it something I have been thinking about.
    Nick
    I will have to defend your aluminum impeller any boat that runs over 65 mph really needs some sort of loading device. I have seen suction housings broken in half due to lack of water. By the way I don't think you will have any luck welding on the blade. The welding process will cause the blade to shrink which will suck a dip in the wear-ring skirt. ATM

ttmott
    Nick
    Some time ago, early last year, I was having major shake and knocking problems with my boat; the whole boat was shaking violently. Took the motor apart twice to try and find a source of detonation or something. It was either this BB or RJB that suggested cavitation in the pump; I was not yet running a loader but did have a shoe (1/2" at 3 deg) Remember I'm running in the same water as you. I took pressure readings at the suction and the pressures were all over the place. A little research revealed the top of the impeller was low on NPSH causing an imbalance (the hull shake) and the cavitation. I am turning an American Turbine 9.25 stainless with an AT bowl for the 9.25. The simple addition of the loader fixed all of the problems and I gained about 300 RPM.
    I am sure that I would have destroyed an Aluminum impeller; maybe more.
    Get the loader or for now baby the thing until you can get the shoe and loader.
    BTW - when are you going to do the St. Johns; or is that where you have been???
    Tom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast