Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tahiti carribean

AZKC
    Bent Valves Its an epidemic I tell you Good deal on the boat. Lots of good stuff to build on. But as said before interior is a bit over the top.

BobbyB
    Rich Tahiti splashing something I dont belive it.
    Custom 77 hook is just what it implies a hook shaped bottom on the boat.It will need to be filled and strightned the last 4 feet and out two strakes to make the hull run to its potential.
    Jake
    Jake,
    THanks for the response;
    So, there will almost be a point turned down where the transom and the bottom meet? Why would they even design a hull that way?

Jake W2
    77 they did not design it that way it is from pulling the hull to fast of setting it in the sun to cure quicker ect.
    Jake

tahitijet
    So, there will almost be a point turned down where the transom and the bottom meet? Why would they even design a hull that way?
    It shouldn't be a point more like a concave curve or series of concave sections in the bottom.. If you lay a straight edge from the transome forward out 4-6 feet if there is a gap under the straight edge the gap is the amount of "hook"
    Here is a pic of mine.. you can see the mapping on the bottom indicating how much hook and where.. also notice the gap under the straight edge on the keel. This boat had almost 3/4" of hook along the keel and about 1/2 way out to the first strake on each side.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...020133-med.JPG
    and here is what it looked like afterwards
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...110245-med.JPG

BobbyB
    It shouldn't be a point more like a concave curve or series of concave sections in the bottom.. If you lay a straight edge from the transome forward out 4-6 feet if there is a gap under the straight edge the gap is the amount of "hook"
    Here is a pic of mine.. you can see the mapping on the bottom indicating how much hook and where.. also notice the gap under the straight edge on the keel. This boat had almost 3/4" of hook along the keel and about 1/2 way out to the first strake on each side.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...020133-med.JPG
    and here is what it looked like afterwards
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...110245-med.JPG
    ...."aaAAHHH, I SEE" said the blind man. Thanks TJ for the info and the photos. That pretty much summed it up for me. The hook wasn't intentional, just a flaw that happened to "some" boats after they were pulled from the mold. If you are one of the unfortunate ones, where do you take it to get fixed, or "blueprinted"?
    Thanks for the patience guys. I AM learning something, I swear!

Jake W2
    77 I like the cruzer in the pic I am trying to find one and have been for a while no luck yet.
    Where are you located so we can help with a place.
    Jake

most of the hook in the old tahitis, eliminators, hawaiians, anthonys (enter just about any quickly produced boat in the 70s and 80s) came from either the lay up being to fast, heating the part in the mold, not shoving them in the sun to cure, (although I have seen this done once. the laminator forgot to mix catalist with the resin, the only solution was to shove it in the sun. It took about a week for it to cure but it did. And it was a real bear to get the deck and hull to fit after that) or the rigger setting the intake incorrectly when he rigged the boat.
    Or the boat's been sitting on the trailer the wrong way for a bunch of years.

Jake W2
    77 Here you go a guy(Oldrigger) that worked for Dick the man that made your boat he knows his shit and all about Tahits.
    Got it Rich, In the sun has nothing to do with it.
    Jake

77 Here you go a guy(Oldrigger) that worked for Dick the man that made your boat he knows his shit and all about Tahits.
    Got it Rich, In the sun has nothing to do with it.
    Jake
    What make you think they were shoved in the sun?
    By the way, dick schuster had nothing to do with his boat either. He sold out long before his boat was made to Bell inc. His Tahiti was built by Hardin.

Jake W2
    I thought Dick still worked for Tahiti even after he sold it and was still taking materials in the later 70 as you have said befor.
    I thought the put them in the sun to hurry up the cureing procress back then to pop out more?
    Was I wrong about any thing else.
    Jake

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast