Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spectra 24XS V-Drive questions.....

burtandnancy
    Yes, with my turbo motors I used a T400 with 1st gear locked out and the Park position left in (really helps with 2 things; 1 - prop changing and 2 - warming up or idleing at the dock; in Park it prevents creep). Back in those days, a guy named Dave Zielebra in West Covina developed this transmission for boats (he left first gear in). I was at the Nautical at LHC and I heard the most amazing thing, this guy in a Campbell was racing everyone and blowing their doors off from 0 - 60, and his boat was shifting! I chased him down with my XS and got the details. Since then I've owned at least a dozen boat with auto's, single and dual engine. It will do nothing but improve the performance of you 24 Spectra (along with gobs of horsepower)

spectras only
    custom, here's mine with original engine and V-drive equipment.
    I've changed the doghouse to a rear bench and used the original bucket seats with upgraded Garelick pedestals.
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/2...1%2520copy.jpg
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/s...ve3%20copy.jpg

SPECTRABRENT
    I have the chance to pick one up, from the original owner. It has a 454, and the guy said it's been rebuilt once. :idea:
    I currently have a jet drive, so I don't know much about V-Drives.
    My questions are:
    1) What kind of speeds can be expected? (the guy said he remembers 45)
    2) Do you have to blueprint the bottom to get more speed from it?
    3) What is it worth?
    -C77
    Custom77
    Custom77,
    If the Spectra XS has a stock 454 you should see high 40's low 50's.
    If you want more speed, turbo charge your 454 or cubic inches (509 540 etc.). I dont know how much MPH you will pick up by blueprinting the bottom. I have a Spectra 24XS that had a 850 HP Gale Banks turbo 454 setup and the MPH was around high 60's low 70's. I am in the process of going to a 540 Chevy (650 to 700 HP). I will let you know what kind of MPH I get.
    The value of the boat should be around 8500.00 to 25,000.00 depending on the condition.
    Post some pictures so we can see the boat.
    Good Luck,
    Brent

spectras only
    Brent , when are you going to post some pictures of your XS ?
    Been a long haul ,bet it's coming out stunning .If I replace the LS-6 ever, I would marinize a ZZ572 for it.Me and a friend are just going to do that for this 35' project >
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Img_0059.jpg

BobbyB
    custom, here's mine with original engine and V-drive equipment.
    I've changed the doghouse to a rear bench and used the original bucket seats with upgraded Garelick pedestals.
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/2...1%2520copy.jpg
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/s...ve3%20copy.jpg
    That is a FOCKING GOOOOD LOOKING BOAT!!! Cheers to you SPECTRASONLY. Thanks again for the info.

BobbyB
    That is a FOCKING GOOOOD LOOKING BOAT!!! Cheers to you SPECTRASONLY. Thanks again for the info.
    Now is this a 24, or a 24xs?

BobbyB
    Custom77
    Custom77,
    If the Spectra XS has a stock 454 you should see high 40's low 50's.
    If you want more speed, turbo charge your 454 or cubic inches (509 540 etc.). I dont know how much MPH you will pick up by blueprinting the bottom. I have a Spectra 24XS that had a 850 HP Gale Banks turbo 454 setup and the MPH was around high 60's low 70's. I am in the process of going to a 540 Chevy (650 to 700 HP). I will let you know what kind of MPH I get.
    The value of the boat should be around 8500.00 to 25,000.00 depending on the condition.
    Post some pictures so we can see the boat.
    Good Luck,
    Brent
    Hello Brent,
    Please keep me posted, as I will with you. I dig that SPECTRAMARINE site.
    I would like to see some pics of your 24 also. What color is it?

spectras only
    Thanks Custom. It's the XL tall cabin model. The XS is more desireable, but I like the room inside .

BobbyB
    Thanks Custom. It's the XL tall cabin model. The XS is more desireable, but I like the room inside .
    I think I like the room too! I will try to look at both before I make a decision.

wsuwrhr
    Horsepower ultimately governs your speed.
    Don't you mean LACK of horsepower.......
    haha
    Brian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast