Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Configuring a New Audio System for Boat

Essex502
    We're in the process of spec'ing a new audio system for our boat - head unit, 4 speakers and maybe an amp. Budget is $1,000 and that's firm. We'd like a good, clean sounding system at normal listening levels. We tend not to play the audio all that loud as usually our friends are around playing there stereo systems at an elevated level. There needs to be CD capability in the head unit. Brands are open and if an amp can be included so much the better. A sub isn't necessary either but wouldn't be turned away if the dollars were below the limit. Suitability for a marine application is a must.
    Any suggestions as long as they're under the $1K limit are welcome.

Havasu Hangin'
    Four components, and two 10" subs would be a good place to look. Due to the lack of accoustics in a boat, subs are a must.
    One four channel (75 x 4) and one sub amp (600 x 1) would be my choice.
    If the $1,000 has to include installation- forget it (I hear those installers get $75/hour these days)...you're back to a head unit and four 6x9's (depending on the boat).
    My 2 cents.

rivercrazy
    HAH! No stereo system huh? Better start planning more batteries now! J/K
    If you want it to be little more SQ oriented, go with 6.5" seperates. If you want it to be a little louder go with high quality 6X9's.
    Headunit wise, I'd go Alpine. And make sure its XM capable so you can easily upgrade to sat radio without much drama. Just make sure if you want wired remotes that Alpine offers that accessory.
    Amplifers - you don't have to spend top dollar on the premium priced brands. A clean watt is a clean watt and you won't be able to tell the difference in sound quality. Just satisfy yourself that the brand chosen is well built and reliable.
    Just have Howard run thicker power cable, a few extra speaker and RCA's in the stereo wiring harness than your current needs dictate. That way if you do decide to throw a subwoofer or a few more speakers in there, you don't have to worry about rewiring anything and everything will be rigged Howard clean.

ROZ
    Sparkomatic teamed up with Mecca to bring back the powerbooster. It's rumored to be stable to .01ohms and output 2000watts per channel with a .0009 distortion level. It's power supply is made of a spaceage polymer that allows the same output between 4v and 20v... This means you can rock all day from a 12v NMih battery!
    Let me know if your interested !

OutCole'd
    Sparkomatic teamed up with Mecca to bring back the powerbooster. It's rumored to be stable to .01ohms and output 2000watts per channel with a .0009 distortion level. It's power supply is made of a spaceage polymer that allows the same output between 4v and 20v... This means you can rock all day from a 12v NMih battery!
    Let me know if your interested !
    I though Sparkomatic teamed up with Kraco, not Mecca.

Havasu Hangin'
    So what's wrong with this picture? I try to be serious for once, and you guys add no value to this poor guy's audio question.
    Is it all about jokes with you guys?

rivercrazy
    Lets get this thread back on track.
    How about a 6-pack of Funky Pup Subs?

ROZ
    I though Sparkomatic teamed up with Kraco, not Mecca.
    That was the rumor, but I thought I'd ignore all that sarbanes oxly shit and post the truth.... I may get in trouble from the Sec, Nasdq, fbi, cia, and the w.i.f.e , but you guys are worth it!

ROZ
    Lets get this thread back on track.
    How about a 6-pack of Funky Pup Subs?
    And to start off, I'd like everyone to know that Holiday Inn is offering 2 bags of poprocks and a pepsi with early checkin this week!

rivercrazy
    Just insist on 6 bags of Poprocks followed up by a six pack of Pepsi. That ought to add lots of boom & overexcursion shortly after installation!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast