Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rice Road - Red Dodge Ram

NOTALENT
    Rice rd has always been the way it is. Its a heavy travled 2 lane hwy with people in a hurry to get to and from the river(often drinking and driving). I've driven it my whole life and seen some crazy shit. I go out almost every other wekend and once in a while I'll take 29 palms, I just did Friday morning. Its a breeze in the winter except for the trucks. If Im towing or tired Ill go Ehrenberg through the farm land. Can you believe I got busted for taking a leak a couple weeks on that road by a La Paz county Sheriff...lol. :rollside:
    Arent they suppost to have a check point over there on rice road this year???

Essex29
    Barbi is right. Once you get past the stop lights, you are home free. Good 'country' driving too. But, whatever you do, try to time the light at the bottom of the hill coming from Palm Springs. If you dont, you cant get a good run at the hill.
    What exit do you take off of the 10??

WILDERTHANU
    Arent they suppost to have a check point over there on rice road this year???
    They would have them all the time when I was younger. CHP and SBCS would stop you right after you crossed the Hwy 95 stop sign @ Vidal Junction. If you were all shot out, they had a portable holding tank.... then its was off to needles.

djunkie
    They would have them all the time when I was younger. CHP and SBCS would stop you right after you crossed the Hwy 95 stop sign @ Vidal Junction. If you were all shot out, they had a portable holding tank.... then its was off to needles.
    Been through that a few times. It's usually on the holiday weekends.

hotlavey
    Is the service station at Desert Center closed? If it is I will sure miss those restrooms.

WILDERTHANU
    Ya, but the girls just use Magoos now, bout two miles down the road. Ive always stoped there once and a while to help 'em stay in business.

THOR
    What exit do you take off of the 10??
    Highway 62/29 Palms exit. Stay on Hwy 62 until is dead ends on Rice road. Hang a left on Rice Road to Parker, right to Desert Center.

The Rice Road has provided a lot of River goers a false short cut since I started going to Parker in 1961. To prove my point that this Rice Road DOES NOT really save that much time my son and I left the A&W in Parker both at the exact same time last..........6 pm exactly. He took the Rice Road route. I took the Poston Road thru the CRIT Reservation(my standard route). Our plan was to meet at Chiraco Summit at the Fosters Freeze there.
    He was towing the Sanger and I the new Spectra. As he was getting in line in side the Fosters Freeze for ice cream I rolled up 4 minutes behind him. I am sure he drove a lot faster than me. Hell 4 minutes is such a tiny marhin of time my son is now convinced the danger risk in using the Rice Road provides really zero advantage as a short cut. Really is less than 5 minutes really worth it?
    Its Ehrenberg for me! The Rice Road is really only for those drivers that have been fooled into believing it REALLY is a short cut!
    Thor I heard that Red Ram had a UNLV sticker on its rear window. :shift:

THOR
    Thor I heard that Red Ram had a UNLV sticker on its rear window. :shift:
    FOCKER! The UNLV grads are stupid like me, not ignorant. That guy was a total idiot.

SCUBA STEVE
    Highway 62/29 Palms exit. Stay on Hwy 62 until is dead ends on Rice road. Hang a left on Rice Road to Parker, right to Desert Center.
    When I used to go that way, I used to wonder what all those shacks were there for... anyone know? :rollside:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast