Thread: Ok guys she doesn`t idle

AdrenelineOD
    It`s a Holly double pumper. It`ll start but It can`t hold an Idle. So could you please give me my checklist so I can get a going :smile: . I have cleaned it and put a new rebuild kit in it. So If I need to go beck and look for a flub let me no. I have to go to work but I`ll be back around noon. Thanks Brad

BK
    Is the carb fresh? Have you had it running correctly on your boat before? Have you messed with the idle mixture screws? If not turn them all the way in then 1 1/2 - 2 turns out and see if it idles. Look down in the carb while while its running and see if theres fuel pooring into it, you may need to addjust your float bowl levels. Could even be a vacume leak, but id start with the easy stuff first.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I'm running 4150 Holley DP. Last year after a hard, long run outrunning a Baja (couple miles) I suddenly couldn't idle either (was VERY surging). Took 2 trips through the idle circuits cleaning the metering block out to get the cruddies that somehow got into the idle circuit, L/H side. I was lean and could not get it to adjust rich. Pull the metering block off the primary side and blast it out thoroughly, then blast it out again, without the mixture screws in it both times. Then clean the bowl out and get it restarted and check float levels.
    BK's setting advice is right where to set it before trying to run it.

AdrenelineOD
    The carb is fresh and ran great all last year. I should be home soon and I`ll start with the easy stuff. could it be flooding? I adjusted the seats last night with the sight hole out.

AdrenelineOD
    Ok so I did all that the carb is clean and I still don`t have idle. It Idled fine all last year and I havent changed a thing. What next, And thanks for the help so far. Brad

mike37
    I'm no guru but did you try spraying carb cleaner around all the gaskets
    at the carb and intake
    if you have a leak you will notice it in rpm if you hit a leak with the carb cleaner

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    CHeck the idle mixture screws. Also make sure the squirts arent clogged.....

AdrenelineOD
    F#@& It`s early !!!!!!2:00 AM. no clogs Well after weddeing, hangout & Movie I Decided to mess with Idle screws. I ended up leaving them all around 1.5 - 3/4 turns. (Original setting) I have to admit, I`ve never started it in the dead silence of the morning. so :devil: :coffeycup Still no idle. I`ll just bring it to Brock mon. Did you here that JIM?