Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impeller question for the pump Gurus

Hi All- This is what my impeller looks like now- It was new when it went into the pump, along with a lipped bronze wear ring, and had .030 clearance between the front of the impeller and the edge of the wear ring lip. Any idea as to why it looks like this now? The wear ring is still fully seated, and I have no front or back movement in the shaft, but I haven't pulled the pump to check the thrust bearing yet. The bearing was also new at the same time. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Stan[IMG]http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/68DSC00003-med.jpg

Duane HTP
    It appears that your thrust bearing has gone South, or the bearing cap came loose. The impeller has moved forward for some reason or the other. Go ahead and pull your thrust bearing next.

Thanks, Duane- Can this impeller be re-used if I machined off the "Lip", and removed a corresponding amount from the front of the impeller that rides against the shaft shoulder? Stan

SmokinLowriderSS
    My first guess matches Duane's as well. That impeller has moved fwd somehow under pressure meaning thrust bearing or it's cap. I've never seen it but I have read posts about thrust bearings having premature failures from poor/inadequate lubing practices/materials. I would think you could re-use it if the machining off the fromt is matchable by de-shimming a like ammount to regain wear ring clearances, makes sense anyhow. Hope if the thrust bearing let go tht it didn't lean on your crankshaft any like I have seen in other posts as well. Doesn't look like it moved fwd that much tho. Good luck.

I had a wear ring move one time. it somehow got cocked at a slight angle and did that same damage to an impellor. don't know what caused it but the first obvious thought was thrust bearing and upon inspection, bearing :jawdrop: was fine. the wear ring had moved in the insulator ring. this was after a couple years running with no issues.

SmokinLowriderSS
    That's sure a weird tale okiedave. :frown: Makes me glad on that account too that I am running DuaneHTP's one-piece Ultimate Wear Ring. It just can't really shift. At least I have had zero troubles with it.

sdpm
    At the boat drags when engines get warmed up the water supply hose is unhooked at the pump. The water gets very hot in the bucket and the water in the block gets even hotter after the recirculating pump is turned off and when the hose is reconnected to the pump that hot water runs right back to the pump wearring/insulator area. It is hot enough to soften up the insulator in turn loosening the wearring. A one way check valve cures this. Not many think about this?

BigBlockBaja
    Thanks, Duane- Can this impeller be re-used if I machined off the "Lip", and removed a corresponding amount from the front of the impeller that rides against the shaft shoulder? Stan
    Yes Marlin455. I just had my impellor machined just like that to have it fit my bowl just right. by the way, duane, my pump is together and spins nicely. Thanks for all your help.

SmokinLowriderSS
    You're right spdm, I'd have never thought of that, but it makes plenty of sense. Enlightenment, the reason I hang out here.

At the boat drags when engines get warmed up the water supply hose is unhooked at the pump. The water gets very hot in the bucket and the water in the block gets even hotter after the recirculating pump is turned off and when the hose is reconnected to the pump that hot water runs right back to the pump wearring/insulator area. It is hot enough to soften up the insulator in turn loosening the wearring. A one way check valve cures this. Not many think about this?
    Well Ill be dipped in sh*t.
    Im gonna check that out next weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast