Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wings On Hydros

SANGER-RICH
    I was told it helps blow the tail. what is a used one worth and how do you set them up to help lift the rear of the boat??

DUNDUN
    how would a wing(im assuming you mean spoiler?) help blow the tail? it produces downforce..right? hmmm im stupid so im probably wrong.. yeah... :hammer2:

Sangster
    Rich......You won't be needing one...either way..... :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

steelcomp
    how would a wing(im assuming you mean spoiler?) help blow the tail? it produces downforce..right? hmmm im stupid so im probably wrong.. yeah... :hammer2:
    It can be made to lift...like a...get this, now....WING!!! (just pickin on ya :rollside: )

FlatRat
    Back in the old days at marine stadium LB. they used to put wings on hydros and there is a few at the races who still do!there huge and modified but there on there.When (flat rat) bought his picklefork hydro it had a nice wing on it! used wing run ya around $250/$500.
    Yeah,
    was told they look cool and you can hang your beach towel on 'em. :idea: ....
    Hydro...mmmm where is that thing? :hammer2:

DUNDUN
    It can be made to lift...like a...get this, now....WING!!! (just pickin on ya :rollside: )
    thats where i got the "im assuming you mean spoiler"..trying to make myself sound as little retarded as possible, ive failed, once again. ..
    sorry for the thread hijack...

Wings on flats & hydros are for down force. Putting one on a hydro & adjusting for lift is flipp'n scary. Depending on how much power you give it you are going to get wet. Think about why a hydro kicks the tail. When the boat is set up correct, the prop climbs out of the water. When the prop is out the blade entering the water is what lifts the ass. If the ass is to low it will have more power to lift, if it is to high it will have less power to lift. Essentially it adjusts itself. Same goes for the little wings you see on some struts.
    A wing adjustted for lift will not do crap on the bottom end (where you need it most) & will produce more lift on the top. The problem is it will not adjust itself. the faster you go, the more lift you get. So even if it did what you wanted eventially it will lift to much. Now granted as the ass end lifts the angle of the wing will be decreased, but how high will it get before it loses lift.
    Hallet flat bottom kid nailed it with simplicity.

DUECE'SDAD
    Just wondering what kinda of engine, (how powerfully), and what youre going to be doing with the boat (lake, drag, mph, etc.) My shovelnose wont blow the tail because it doesnt have the power but it still ran 98 on gpsagainst the wind and a 96 with the wind. I want it to blow but there is nothing i could or would do short of getting a biggger engine which is on the list. I would not put a wing on there even if i was told it lifts, Unless it was to acheive
    "the look" I was going to but even then you would have to adress the adjustablility of it, you would have to build a pedal set up as on would be for a cav plate on a flat. Get on the pedal to get outta the wing on the top end and lotsa trail and airra (error). From all the research i have done these boats do what they are intend to do and anything you could do would change that for the worse. But the bottom line is if you think it looks cool go for it but use it for looks

bigkatboat
    Some of us old guys did use 'tricks' on the hydro struts. Two beads of weld, ground flat on the bottom of the strut barrel,(1"X15") is good to lift aprox 750 lbs at 100MPH. For a better hole shot, use a cupped flatbottom prop and wings on the strut barrel. That kind of prop will push the boat and the small wings will do the lifting. The small wings also don't let the tail 'fall' until you are going at slower speeds. Try going 140MPH and have the motor stumble/ pop, the tail falls and the nose goes UP. For river/ lake racing, I like to keep the sponsons wet most of the time. Blast out of the hole, and then 'plant' the sponsons so you have control of the boat. Wings on the strut will lift the tail, but never unload the prop or rudder. Much safer for 'play boats'. Corrected many hydros that had too low of a shaft angle, with those wings, and made them competitive.

mfrey
    Rich, anytime you want to look at mine, you're welcome. With the strut plates (1 1/2" wide and about 6 1/2" long) welded to the barrel, my shovelnose et'd about 1/10th quicker (10.20) but did not improve the mph at all (105 max). Before the strut mod, at the end of the 1/4, the transom was only out of the water about 1". Now it's about 3-4". I can feel it lift much quicker and it now will throw a rooster tail (only with the 3 blade). Most importantly, it rides like a hydro is supposed to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast