Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil question

git r
    hey should i run 10w 40 or 20w 50 in my 454?

berk
    i was wondering if 10-40 or 10-30 cuz the boats usually run cooler anyway, but oil temos can soar too, so maybe youre right..........

SmokinLowriderSS
    I have what used to be dad's boat. He ran 10W-40 dino-oil. I ran 20W50 Castrol dino-oil for a lot of years. I now run 5w-50 Syntech. I just rebuilt my 454 and found the only wear was wiped out GM original A400 bearings after 26 years, arround 300 hours, and a LOT of devoured Nitrous.
    From threads here, I have heard of a lot of high-HP guys having oil temp problems under sustained hard running which is why I followed the crowd to synthetic. Most of my driving is towing or cruizing under 60 so I don't think I have or will have a problem but I switched anyhow.
    All that said, Depending on how hard you push your 454, I see no trouble with either viscosity, nor will I tell you that synthetic is the way to go for everyone. I'd personally prefer the thicker 20W-50 or the slipperier synthetic.

berk
    if you had no wear after 26 years why would you switch to something else? especially a more expensive oil?

Wicked Performance Boats
    When you build or rebuild your engine. The clearances for piston to wall and rod and main bearing are a major player in what weight oil you run, also oil pressure is a factor, as well as how you use your boat. It's not a simple forumla. If you know your engine specs and how you operate your boat, that helps. But I don't recommend synt oil unless you keep your clearances tight. Most synt oil is about 5wt. My 02 cents Budlight

xs ultra
    I run straight 40 wt in all the boats I had. I Run 40wt in the hot rods.
    I run hard and have no problem. I have used the 20 -50wt and swithched back. 10 -40wt is in the daily driver. just my .02

tahitijet
    I run straight 40wt.. most the guys i know around here are running straight 40 as well.

Moneypitt
    50 wt racing.......Less or no foaming, than standard oils, and blended for the extreme use of hard running. Never had an oil related problem using Valvoline or Kendal straight 50 racing oil...........MP

sanger rat
    40wt Valvoline racing oil. Little cooler here in Michigan.

RCB19
    Royal Purple...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast