Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hydrafoil???

spectras only
    RD, actually the big one was a Volga as well :hammer2: .
    I'm trying to upload a pic right now.Here's the link>
    Katran 70 built by the Volga shipyard
    http://www.foils.org/gallery/world.htm

goneboatin
    In the late 60's / early 70's didn't they have a hydrofoil boat running at Sea World in San Diego that you could take ride in the bay, (for a price, of course).

MudPumper
    Now this right here is a selling point. :rollside:
    How about a gas pedal and floor shifter as just one of the unique features of this FAST Hydrofoil!

HM
    about 28 years ago, they had a couple of HUGE hyrdofoil boats in Hawaii that they did island hoping with. Held 150 people and went about 65 MPH in a 15 ft swell. The boat road like 10 feet in the air. When it came off plane, the front and rear hydrofoils would pivot forward and rear for idling in and out of the harbors.

HM
    I think this is it right here and that looks like Honolulu in the background.
    http://www.foils.org/gallery/jetfoil5.jpg

ECeptor
    I think this is it right here and that looks like Honolulu in the background.
    Holy crap...that's a wild looking boat! Looks like a hotel on stilts!
    Yeah, a Russian hydrofoil with a BBC...not everyone in party cove would have one of those!
    I assume the hydrafoils are super efficient due to reduced wetted surface drag compared to a deep V planing hull or especially vs any displacement hull.

spectras only
    I think the one in Holy Moly's picture was in service in between Vancouver and Victoria , then Seattle and ending up in Honolulu. Had problems hitting logs here in the georgia strait and was in drydock a lot of time.Went close to 70 if I remember right .

HM
    I think the one in Holy Moly's picture was in service in between Vancouver and Victoria , then Seattle and ending up in Honolulu. Had problems hitting logs here in the georgia strait and was in drydock a lot of time.Went close to 70 if I remember right .
    It had problems hitting sharks in Hawaii. We hit two in one trip.

Dr. Eagle
    Hmmm......that boat finally resurfaced in the states :wink: .Someone tried to sell one for years ,exactly like that here in vancouver. They were asking $ 28 K cdn for it.It's good for the Volga river ,that's it .They're popular in europe. I was cruising on the Danube river from Budapest to Vienna in a bigger version .
    The Villan in "Thunderball" had a bigger one yet...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast