Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flowing Flame Arrester?

flat broke
    It's the screening mesh that makes a flame arestor, and it's the darned stainless steel that gets a USCG approval. I have a K&N Filtercharger on my Taylor but, since the manifold change I made is taller, I had to buy the off-road non-marine one with the drooped base. Their approved ones are all flat-based. As is I had to build my hood with a 2" arch in it (I was not cutting out the hood or building a "dog-house"), the marine one would have been 1 5/8" taller yet. The Admiral would not approve & I'd be in the "dog house". Maybe one day I'll buy the SS lid with the USCG stamp on it and fudge my way but for now, I am illegal with darned good intentions (and a paranoid search for fuel leaks).
    Maybe Bowtie Rick can answer better on this one, but basically, there is no difference between the element in the regular K&N filters and the one in the "USCG" approved arrestors. The difference is in the housing... as you stated, one has USCG approval, the other doesn't. I can find you plenty of USCG approved arrestors that are not stainless. If you have a K&N element in a top/bottom configuration that has no additional holes etc; I'm pretty sure it would pass USCG teting just the same as one of the units already approved. The issue comes down to intended use and insurabilty.
    Chris

Mrs CP 19
    We once got a ticket for the scoop facing forward. Of course we beat it as we had Coast Guard approved arrestors. You might call Bassett, he carries USCG flame arrestors and may have something you can use. Good lick.

mgar_red
    Maybe Bowtie Rick can answer better on this one, but basically, there is no difference between the element in the regular K&N filters and the one in the "USCG" approved arrestors. The difference is in the housing... as you stated, one has USCG approval, the other doesn't.
    Chris
    I called K&N and spoke to a tech after buying a 3364 and asking how I would prove my compliance if checked. I didn't see the little letters he told me about stamped into the side of the SS caps ( K&N Marine SAE J1928 ). The element itself also has these markings on top of its rubber seal/structure.
    I asked him what the difference was on this one compared to the ones on my p/u trk and SA200. The screen looks identical I told him I was expecting to see an actual woven mesh on the marine one, but he said they were approved safe the way they were.

BowTie Rick
    The only difference is the "clip" that holds the material together is stainless and so is the housing. The media itself is the same for all. What makes them "legal" is the 12 grand spent on getting it tested. Love the government We do make some scoop filters (http://www.knfilters.com/Racing/scoopfilters.htm) that flow something rediculous like 1300 CFM. They are not marine legal as flames could still leave the carb causing an engine compartment explosion. That leads to another question asked. All a flame arrestor is supposed to do is contain a backfire within itself and not allow flame to leave into the surrounding air.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12