Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proper impeller for 21' Ultra

Jetmugg
    All you need is more HP. The key to those 330 hp 454s is in the heads and the cam. The peanut port heads and very mild cam are limiting the power. Forget about monkeying with a good pump, save your money for the engine work.
    My 2 cents.
    Steve.

MudPumper
    More seriously, it's my understanding that the droop nozzles actually add weight to the nose (they are supposed to lift the stern). BAD effect for speed. Maybe a straight nozzle would help as well. Save the trim fighting the droop's effects.
    Wrong :idea:
    Droop Snoot lowers the thrust line of the pump and helps to lift the boat out of the water. It's a go fast part and should help the boat run faster.

kojac
    All you need is more HP. The key to those 330 hp 454s is in the heads and the cam. The peanut port heads and very mild cam are limiting the power. Forget about monkeying with a good pump, save your money for the engine work.
    My 2 cents.
    Right on.
    Raise the compression to 10.5 to 1 static,
    have the heads ported. install the street roller from comp. 288/288 duration 110lobe center .622 lift. put the cam straight up it already comes with 4degree advance built in.
    install a rpm manifold from edelbrock, 850 demon carb and the motor will pull the A impellar 5600 rpm's and live.
    kojac

SmokinLowriderSS
    OK mudpumper, Thx for the correction.. I had recently seen a jet pump mfr site that said the droop lifted the rear of the boat for faster planing on take-off. KNEW that'd add nose-down force at speed. I got lucky I suppose on my 330HP 454, large oval port heads, had the GM factory "high lift hydraulic" cam though (.480 In/.472 Ex lift). Got with DuaneHTP on a .565 lift Hyd kit (couldn't justify $1,000 for roller parts), Performer Air Gap manifold. anmd am loving the change, even though she isn't broken in good yet. Oh, yea, I left the N2O plate under the carb. She has to be a good ski/tube boat as well as wacker-spanker.

98Ultra
    Hey Dennis.....I have the same boat....21' Ultra LX with the Marine Power 330HP (sportpac) mill. Yes, the impeller is an "A" - mine mounted in a Dominator 12TD. I turn about 4800Rs at 50-52MPH, pretty consistantly. Mill is stock with 750 Quadrajet.
    The Pump......Because I had some initial pump issues (nothing major, just some strange noises), I started there and had her re-worked. The result was 1-2MPH after replacing the spent bearings and bringing her back to spec (which surprised the guy who did the work). Added a droop onto the existing diverter and other than an REAL substantial increase in the roost, really don't believe that did anything either. Custom ride plate....helped me plane off a little quicker but nothing at top WOT. Result..... :hammerhea
    The Mill......So here I sit looking at this mill thinking.....do I just replace the complete motor or put $3000 into carb, intake and valve/head work (which was recommended)? What will that get me other than a free box of tampons? Chances are, I may have to run some pads or something with "wings"? I know some of you guys seem to think that's a drop in the bucket, but unfortunately, I'm on a budget....AND I don't like tampons. In addition to the frustration, the stock compression is low (8:1) and the ports are small oval, so you drop the dime, get 100HP additional which might equate to 5 MPH? Probably should replace the heads all together? Don't know which direction if any to take to get any noticable gains. Everything associated with mass amounts of money. No small dollar bolt-ons that I can tell. :eat:
    So Dennis, I feel your pain brother, but we both may be stuck with 50MPH or sinking some cold cash and pony up to the cotton fairy. Would be great if anyone else with the same issues with this boat and could recommend there infinite wisdom??? Talked to Tom Papp today and he recommended a 750 riding on an Edelbrock Air Gap or Weind Stealth intake to start with.....and some head work. That's where the $3000 came from.
    The Bottom line.....Ultras are HEAVY and need HP to get the water to break further back on the hull. The more hull you can get out of the water, the less drag, the more speed, the quicker the tops start peeling off the ladies (in theory).
    I will say that there is wealth of information on this forum and the folks here are great!!!

flat broke
    Your assesment of the situation is about as succinct as it gets. You can easily nickel and dime yourself to death with little motor mods here and there. When it comes to the boats of this size/configuration and speed, you need to first define EXACTLY how fast you want to go, and then see if you can afford to go there. Clownpuncher probably has one of the fastest 21 Ultras without a blower hands down. But he has a serious mill providing the juice to get that boat running right. If you only need to get to 60, new pistons(only because of the compression ratio) some Aluminum heads, free flowing exhaust, and a well thought out roller valvetrain solution will get you there. But honestly, you're waaaaaay over 3k at that point. Espescially if you're paying someone to do it.
    Before you start working on the boat, ask yourself how bad you want to go fast. For what I've dumped into my motor alone, I could have bought a very clean open bow like what Bense has and spent all last summer on the river having fun every weekend instead of worrying about when my motor would be done, what pump work was going to be required to survive behind it etc. If you absolutely HAVE to go faster, cool, just start savin your pennies, cause it's gonna take a lot of them with that boat.
    Chris

ddevore
    It's a nice setup - Mine's the 21' RS, there probably almost the same rig. I figured that the 3000lb weight on the thing makes it a whale of a Jet drive... I talked to a few engine guys and pretty much found it to cost 3k or so to get it up 100-150 more ponies, I figure for that price I can fill both tanks almost all the way up! I figure I can hang with a 50 mph rig for now, it's faster than many - reliable and it preforms execellent on the water. For now if I have the need for more speed I'll hitch a ride with a buddy!! The info on this board has been great for me, I found out all kinds of very important info that only applies the Jets W/O learning the hard way (for once), seems like a lot of cool people browse the boards. Here's a pict of it (and my lab) out at parker a few weeks ago.
    http://mysite.verizon.net/ddevore9/s...s/img_0687.jpg

SmokinLowriderSS
    Sweet boat Dennis. :boxed:
    Ya know, you CAN get another 150 HP for only about $500. My father did it to his (now MY) Taylor back in '79, Nitrous Oxide.
    SHe's been dead reliable, survived quite well, and runs like a raped ape when you togle her up almost 50% boost. I'm running what was a 330HP 454, cast crank & pistons, small rod bolts, small hydraulic cam, at least I had large oval port breathing open-chambered heads (good stockers). I spent less than $1k on her rebuild, including cam kit, new valvetrain, and new manifold. I should be right at 400HP, 550 on the gas. I'll find out what she does on it this weekend at a Tyalor owners gathering in southern Oklahoma.

98Ultra
    Dennis....
    Feeling the pain. For me this all came about from a few of my buds that had 21' ultras. They all had SB w/props and I had the BB w/jet. They would laugh me up and down because they were running right next me with the SB. So I had to do some mods and quick.
    After my research, I settled down alittle (to my dismay) and realized that there were no quick HP bolt-ons. Even looked into roller tip rockers with higher lift ratio, carb spacer, air cleaner (as lower cost mods, but don't believe would gain me anything).....and it all came down to the those damn small oval port heads. :frown:
    So to do it, ya gotta really port and re-work the heads (although total replacement would be the hot ticket), re-cam, intake, carb and exhaust. Then where do you stop? Pistons, Rods, Crank.....could be a real bleeder complete. :2purples:
    Then there's Smokin's advise....NOS! Much cheaper, but will the bottom end handle the extra Rs.... Guess it should if you can keep control of your finger on the button? I'd probably be so into the extra speed that I'd suck the whole bottle on one run and spin a bearing. Hmmmmmm Nitrous.....our cocktail for cheap speed? :skull:

ddevore
    I'm gonna leave it as is for now, it's pretty quick as is... I'd have to figure a way to convince the wife that heads, cam intake etc would save money by increasing mileage or something like that - It's easier to cruise and get a little beer!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12