Thread: IMPELLER CUTS

INFINITEJJ
    WHAT IS THE DIFFERANCE BETWEEN CUTS ON A IMPELLER? SUCH AS "AA" "A" "AB" "B", CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME?
    [This message has been edited by INFINITEJJ (edited March 12, 2001).]

440jetster
    Ask Walt at Walts hot boat service. He is the guru of pumps and impellers. If he can't make it clear nobody can. waltshbs@netfeed.com

ChetCapoli
    Look at it like the rearend gears in a car. 3.23's is like a AA and 4.88 is like a C cut. there is a diff of about 2-300rpms between each cut. It's all about how much torque your motor has. Find you peak Torque RPM and match your impeller to it. AA is for cruising and C or B is for hotroding. Most people run B's and A's.
    Chet

BlackWidowBowTies
    I am running an "AA". Dominator pump. It puts me right into the power band on my 468 BBC. Course cam and other mechanical factors will determine the range. I had my motor dynoed and matched it all up. As for the "AA" being for cruising, I believe its dependant on the motors Horse power and torque RPM range. My `72 Cheetah cruises well and HOT RODS real WELL

INFINITEJJ
    I HAVE A STOCK 460 FORD WITH A HOLLY 850 DOUBLE PUMPER IN A 19' TAHITI WITH A BERKLEY PUMP AND A PLACE DIVERTER. IT GETS OUT OF THE HOLE PRETTY GOOD AND RUNS REAL GOOD AT W.O.T. WHICH IS @ ABOUT 4600 RPM. I JUST HAD THE PUMP REBUILT AND HAD THE IMPELLER CUT TO A "B". THE GUY THAT DID THE PUMP SAID IT WOULD RUN 55-60 MPH STOCK @ 4500 RPM. I THINK IT DOES,IT FEELS GREAT, BUT HAVEN'T HAD A CHANCE TO GET ACTUAL SPEED READING. THANKS FOR THE IMPUT!!
    [This message has been edited by INFINITEJJ (edited March 16, 2001).]