Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas in the oil.....?

Greaser
    If it were that rich you'd be seeing black smoke out the exhaust also.
    At the time this happened, I had alot of black smoke coming from the exhast. Couldnt the trash I found in the front bowl cause the float to stick, and dump a bunch of gas causing it to get into the oil? Under no circumstances to I consider myself a mechanic, so please forgive all my stupid questions.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yes, that could be a possibility, and (especially marine carbs) any float overflow will dump straight down the venturis.

At the time this happened, I had alot of black smoke coming from the exhast. Couldnt the trash I found in the front bowl cause the float to stick, and dump a bunch of gas causing it to get into the oil? Under no circumstances to I consider myself a mechanic, so please forgive all my stupid questions.
    Yes that is most likely. I didn't want you to think that the jets were your gas dumping problem though and inadvertantly change them and run the engine too lean that's all I was saying.

Greaser
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll let yall know how it runs.

I drain my float bowls before trailering down the road, helps keep the fuel out of the cylinders/oil.
    Thats probably not your problem, but it helps keep the oil cleaner, when you run the high dollar sh*t its worth taking the 5 minutes to drain the bowls.
    Good luck.

460rogers
    UPDATE
    After changing the oil twice, I met Greaser at the lake to check timing and see if his carb problem was fixed.
    BUT
    It fired up easily and i checked the timing it was ideling at 21 btdc(a little advanced but it started easily still).
    When he reved it up there was an awful noise from around #6 sounded like valves hitting piston,this was below 2000 rpm and the advance had'nt kicked in yet.We just shut it off and went home.
    He's gonna pull the valve cover and check the valetrain.
    My question is, what do you think he'll find and what do you think he should check.
    I don't think it was pinging it sounded like valve hitting piston and sounded like just #6.
    I am not an expert just trying to help a guy out.Thanks

jimslade
    broken rocker or valve spring. :jawdrop:

Check the valvetrain and post what you find. If a valve did in fact hit a piston there could be several reasons for that. Normally reving on the trailer to 2000 rpm isn't one of them.
    But the result is at the very least you'll be pulling the head and replacing a likely bent valve. But when things break there's a reason and that's what needs to be found.

wsuwrhr
    UPDATE
    After changing the oil twice, I met Greaser at the lake to check timing and see if his carb problem was fixed.
    BUT
    It fired up easily and i checked the timing it was ideling at 21 btdc(a little advanced but it started easily still).
    When he reved it up there was an awful noise from around #6 sounded like valves hitting piston,this was below 2000 rpm and the advance had'nt kicked in yet.We just shut it off and went home.
    He's gonna pull the valve cover and check the valetrain.
    My question is, what do you think he'll find and what do you think he should check.
    I don't think it was pinging it sounded like valve hitting piston and sounded like just #6.
    I am not an expert just trying to help a guy out.Thanks
    Aren't all Chevy's and Fords supposed to run like that? :notam: :notam:
    Brian

Greaser
    Check the valvetrain and post what you find. If a valve did in fact hit a piston there could be several reasons for that. Normally reving on the trailer to 2000 rpm isn't one of them.
    But the result is at the very least you'll be pulling the head and replacing a likely bent valve. But when things break there's a reason and that's what needs to be found.
    Thanks for the advice Rexone. I will check into it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast