Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gas in the oil.....?

Greaser
    Greaser you need to figure out why the bearing spun (there is a reason). Simply replacing and bolting back together may not solve the problem (for long). Perhaps an oiling issue (pan, pump, other) is to blame. I would check ALL the other bearings very carefully to see if they show any similar signs of abnormal wear.
    There is a reason the bearing spun and you need to determine what it is so it doesn't happen again.
    Gas in the oil could be the cause but normally it takes quite a bit and if so your rings are likely wiped out as well.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to inspect everything very carefully before putting it back together.

Greaser
    I can't speak for their work load. Give them a call. Great people and very knowledgeable. Talk to Willard. He is an older guy with lots of experience. His son used to run TAD in NHRA and he has built several record setting engines. He has a shop behind his house in Spring. He has done all my machine work for the last 10+ years.
    He can do your machine work for you or build you a short block....long block all the way up to a complete turn key engine including having the timing set.....carb adjusted......etc. Pick up the phone give him a call.........
    Omega
    I"m sure he does great work, but I have inlisted one of our own board members to lend me a hand. He has been really helpfull to me thru this whole ordeal. But thanks for your advice. I'm sure that if it was the beginning of winter, and I didnt have a time limit, I would use him, but I want to try real hard to have everything done by fathers day weekend.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    I"m sure he does great work, but I have inlisted one of our own board members to lend me a hand. He has been really helpfull to me thru this whole ordeal. But thanks for your advice. I'm sure that if it was the beginning of winter, and I didnt have a time limit, I would use him, but I want to try real hard to have everything done by fathers day weekend.
    good luck........may the force be with you. :smile:
    Omega

LakesOnly
    yup
    I got the pan pulled off, and it looks like the #7 piston and rod is the only one bad. The rod bearing has some play in it. I plan on pulling the rods and piston tomorrow after work, and running the crank to a machine shop on friday.
    Lakes only,,,,,,, what else should I be looking for???
    Tear it down. A toasted bearing sends metal debris thoughout your engine. Clean every part well, including galleries. Inspect the galleries for any obstructions. Get crank and rods inspected and repaired if necessary. Measure twice prior to assy. If you need parts (rod, etc.) let me know, but it may be cheaper/quicker to check with the local buds first...
    LO

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    just exploring an idea here........do you have a front or rear pickup on your oil pump? It it is a front pickup invest in a rear pickup. If you have a flat marine pan it is not beyond the realm of possibility that the angle of the ramp in combination with rev'd rpm could have starved the pump of oil leading to your spun bearing........
    not saying that is what happened more telling you what to look for when you pull the pan. If it is indeed a front pickup spend the $$$$ and get a rear pickup.
    Omega

Greaser
    just exploring an idea here........do you have a front or rear pickup on your oil pump? It it is a front pickup invest in a rear pickup. If you have a flat marine pan it is not beyond the realm of possibility that the angle of the ramp in combination with rev'd rpm could have starved the pump of oil leading to your spun bearing........
    not saying that is what happened more telling you what to look for when you pull the pan. If it is indeed a front pickup spend the $$$$ and get a rear pickup.
    Omega
    Sounds like good advice. Can I get that from a auto parts store, or do I have to special order it from somewhere.

Greaser
    Tear it down. A toasted bearing sends metal debris thoughout your engine. Clean every part well, including galleries. Inspect the galleries for any obstructions. Get crank and rods inspected and repaired if necessary. Measure twice prior to assy. If you need parts (rod, etc.) let me know, but it may be cheaper/quicker to check with the local buds first...
    LO
    Thanks, will do

Taylorman
    Did you tear into it? Whatcha found?

Greaser
    The only thing that I found, was a spun rod bearing. I took everything to the machine shop this morning. They said they would let me know something by Wednesday.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234