Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trim gage issue.

Biglue
    I know this is the probably the wrong forum guys but bare with me. I was looking at some of the tech forums and there is not a whole lot of activity there sometimes. And my mechanic can't get to it before I head to the river next weekend. I need some advise on a trim gage. Yesterday i was out in my boat and I noticed that my trim gage isn't reading accurately. Once my outdrive is completely lowered the gage is telling me that it's only half lowered. I noticed this after planing out and wanting to trim up a little. I jumped in the water and checked it out. I found that I had a piece of wood lodged in the outdrive's travel range. Once I removed it the dial did exactly as before. The boat is still operating normal and I suspect that the actual gage is f'd. I just need to know if anyone else has experienced this type of thing. I need to know if I have a problem in the making a week before I go to the river. Any advice is appreciated.

h2oski2fast
    Is it a mechanical or electric gauge? Also what OD is it?

Biglue
    I don't know if its mechaincal or electrical I just got the boat. It's a bravo 1 outdrive though.

phebus
    If it is a Mercruiser outdrive, there is a black plstic puck on the starboard side of the outdrive, that calibrates the gauge to the position of the outdrive. You loosen two screws and adjust it, so when the drive is in the full down position, the gauge reads full down trim. It's possible the wood knocked it out of position, and it won't hurt anything to play with the adjustment. Again, it is the one on the starboard side. The one on the port side is the trim limit switch. Leave that one alone.

scarabrick2
    On the side of the gimble assy there is a sending unit you can loosen then rotate to adj the gauge. one side is the limit switch on outdride raising (trim) and the other is the sending unit for trim sensor. put a level on the cav plate and level the drive with the level. then adj (rotate)the sending unit to match the guage. My mind might be a little rusty but I'm sure it how it is done.
    Rick

DCBob
    Trim should be measured on a 10 scale with the basic caveat being, all trim is good Glad to help

phebus
    Here is the adjustment per the Mercruiser manual.
    1. Loosen both trim position sender retaining screws
    2. turn ignition key to run position
    3. trim sterndrive unit to the full down/in position
    4. rotate trim position sender as required to show full down/in position on dashboard instrument
    5. tighten retaining screws and turn ignition key to the off position.

Biglue
    Cool sounds like it's just an adjustment. I'll check it out tonight after work. Thanks guys.
    And yes DCBob, all trim is good. That's why we have boats. HA HA.

dicudmore
    Here is the adjustment per the Mercruiser manual.
    1. Loosen both trim position sender retaining screws
    2. turn ignition key to run position
    3. trim sterndrive unit to the full down/in position
    4. rotate trim position sender as required to show full down/in position on dashboard instrument
    5. tighten retaining screws and turn ignition key to the off position.
    ah...this probably explains why my gage reads different after I have the boat serviced every time... They've had the drive off and recalibrated the sender

dicudmore
    Cool sounds like it's just an adjustment. I'll check it out tonight after work. Thanks guys.
    And yes DCBob, all trim is good. That's why we have boats. HA HA.
    That's for sure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast