Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the skinny on Cheetah Boats?

moneypit
    Hot boat won't review them because they say that the owner won't provide one for testing but we all know they don't buy advertising from HB so no tests. I bet if HB really wanted to test one, a private owner would provide one for testing. Something smells fishy.
    Moe
    Old News...

pixilatedpussy
    The question to be answered is.... Are they worth the money that they are sold for? The answer can only be found is by people that have either driven them or by someone who has or does own one. NOONE can else can answer that question honestly...
    I have had one. I sold it. I beleive it was worth what I paid for it. I enjoyed the ride very much. The stiletto hull showed some balls in my book.
    There have been many threads about why Cheetahs are alot cheaper. Bob (Chetah Bob) will tell you that his boats are cheaper for the following reasons.
    1. He owns his building
    2. He doesnt advertise in Magazines... Only boat trader.
    3. He doesnt pay sales people salaries or commisions.
    4. He doesnt pay for a booth at boat shows...
    I believed Bob when he told me these things because the reality is that these thing do cost money (alot). I would agree less overhead gives you the ability to sell things for less....
    In saying all of this, would Bob be able to sell his product for the same price as Advantage, Commander, Shockwave, Magic/Sleek, Nordic etc... NO absolutely not. I think Bob is smart to stay out of the Mags, shows etc... I dont think Bobs boat is as good a boat as those.
    Is Bobs boat worth what I paid for it? Yes
    Sorry for any Typo's
    I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sdpm
    I think Cheetah boats are a excellent boat for the money.
    The Mercury engine package is the most expensive thing in the boat and it is the exact same as others.
    I think it is all perception and marketing in this case. The owner is a no frills guy that has been building boats for over 30 years. In the early 70s he used to produce over 2,000 boats a year. I still see some of the early boats out on the lake and they have held together. Good Luck
    2000 boats a year? Thats 5 1/2 boats a day 7 days a week? :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

slowinhavasu
    I never thought I would say this....but....
    Take the amount of money you are looking to invest, and go and look at Bayliner boats, you will get more for your money, better re-sale value, and if you get caught in some bad weather, your chances of getting your friends and family back to the dock will be much better !!!
    There will be no fancy paint, but I would rather get back to the dock......

Wicked Game
    We shopped for 3 years for our new boat. We looked at almost every brand. Toured every factory. Attended every boat show. We looked at the Cheetah, but honestly thought it was a cheap build. That's just my opinion. We ended up with a Warlock just this year. Not the best build, not the worst. Some like em, some don't. But the best for us. Bottom line, it comes down to what's best for you and what you can afford. The only advise I have is shop and research before you buy.

moneypit
    I never thought I would say this....but....
    Take the amount of money you are looking to invest, and go and look at Bayliner boats, you will get more for your money, better re-sale value, and if you get caught in some bad weather, your chances of getting your friends and family back to the dock will be much better !!!
    There will be no fancy paint, but I would rather get back to the dock......
    I have witnessed more boats that probably cost $250,000 plus that are being towed back to the dock.
    When I owned a cheetah I never broke down. In fact I personally never witnessed a Cheetah broke down (probably happened though just like bayliners).
    Ithink your comments should be based more on the engine manufacturer and not the boat maker..

ITS ALL GOOD
    ask dicudmore he has a cheetah and appears to be very happy.

bigq
    They are less expensive for all reasons mentioned above, but a Bayliner...comon'. I believe the layup is done at the same place where they layup , Stealth, Dominator and another manufacture I cant think of. they are a good value for a new boat and Bob seems honest in what he does, you don't build them that long making crap and ripping people off. Some differences from a DCB, howard would be:
    Layup Schedule
    -Wood Flooring (not a bad thing)
    -not through bolted(most mid to lower end use wood screws)
    -Cut out bow instead of two different molds
    -Wiring not secured in rigging
    -older style hardware that cost less to produce (not that it is any more funtional)
    From what i have heard Bob has taken care of any issues customers have had unlike some of the higher priced boats
    :frown:
    Lastly Cheetah Bob just doesn't have the Hair that Dave at DCB has

Kilrtoy
    They are less expensive for all reasons mentioned above, but a Bayliner...comon'. I believe the layup is done at the same place where they layup , Stealth, Dominator and another manufacture I cant think of. they are a good value for a new boat and Bob seems honest in what he does, you don't build them that long making crap and ripping people off. Some differences from a DCB, howard would be:
    Layup Schedule
    -Wood Flooring (not a bad thing)
    -not through bolted(most mid to lower end use wood screws)
    -Cut out bow instead of two different molds
    -Wiring not secured in rigging
    -older style hardware that cost less to produce (not that it is any more funtional)
    From what i have heard Bob has taken care of any issues customers have had unlike some of the higher priced boats
    :frown:
    Lastly Cheetah Bob just doesn't have the Hair that Dave at DCB has
    I dont think DCB was offered in comparison to Chettah... Now Shochwave was and there is a HUGE difference....Shockwave is a lot higher on the food chain....

Lake Ape
    Thanks a lot everyone! That was what I was looking for. Basically my situation is this, I make decent money but since I build houses I usually have it all tied up in my next project (spec home). I have great credit though. I don't want to do a home equity loan or a LIBOR loan or I would just buy Jordy's Schiada. I want a low payment and want to put down the minium amount possible so the boat has to sell for somewhere around the book value which is very difficult to find. I almost had that Eliminator Daytona bought but by the time I had the financing all put together the guy sold it the day I was going to pick it up hours before I got there. I just want a nice quality boat that I can have fun on the lake and tow a tube or skier and still get some decent speed out of it. I won't being goint to Mead but I will go to Havasu, Powell, Pleasant and the River so a flat bottom is out of the question, LOL. I have the loan set up now for about $26K. Any suggestions would be great, but the boat has to be around book value for it work.
    Thanks,
    Lake Ape!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast