Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat testing the way it should be!

Kahuna
    In my world:
    Every manufacture should have to test their boat with a stock 496HO so that the true speed of a hull could be known, instead of hiding a slow hull by putting a high output motor to get the speed up. I always like how some manufactures come to a boat test with a 600 hp motor. They should test it with the motor that is ordered most with that model, my guess a 496. :crossx:

Dribble
    Good idea... In theory
    Manufacturers usually submit customers boats for testing. This is actually more fair because this is how you can buy this boat. Recently Jim Wangers admitted that GTOs that were submitted to the magazines for testing in the sixties were prepped at Royal Pontiac first and had thinner head gaskets and rejetted carbs. So this was not the car they were selling at the dealer. The other manufacturers were doing it too.
    It's a safe bet that the test boats would be laid up with lighter materials and have all kinds of tweeking done to them.

ECeptor
    I read a test recently where the manufacturer gave the magazine two boats. First had a 496 (can't remember which one), the other was a tricked out +700hp runner. Was good to read about how the hull handled with and without big power.

phebus
    I know ***boat had the article with the two Ultras that had the same gel but in different colors, and with different engines, and reported how each performed. Kinda neat reading for ***boat Mag.

moneypit
    I often wonder about the Speeds that are posted in ***boat reviews. I have seen many boats tested with a stock HO and the speeds reported just dont seem to be legitimate...

CornWater
    Every car should road test with a small block chevy.... I mean apples to apples right???

bigkatboat
    Back in the 80's many 'boat test',"Black" I/O engines had major work done on the insides of them.(and painted over) The magazines played stupid, and just kept raking in the advertizing $$$$'s. Some of us got tired of the "purchased praises", and just never returned for the "tests". Prior to GPS, speedo water pick ups and dash units were "tuned up", often we went to tests thinking we were behind in our own tested speeds, only to find out that we were one of the fastest. After a few of the "worlds fastest boats" fell behind in top speed tests, the rules went out the window. Then the motors got bigger and bigger, will it ever end? I hope so! Stock motor packages, are the best way to go! Then you can compare hull speeds and control, loading, and water conditions. We all know that a 572"/ 1471 blown boat/brick will make anyone happy for the 'test week', but what about the OVERALL COSTS and maintainance, of owning that boat? Should that boat be included in the 'Family bowrider' section of the tests? Stock motors (packages)will help level the playing field.

Kilrtoy
    There have been a few test with my boats hull with High Preformance racing merc 300X motors..... I can see why anyone would buy one with anything less...
    Seriously..
    I AGREE 100% with your statement......

RiverOtter
    I know that this is not in the same league but Chaparral (I know POS procudtion boat only 1 mil gel short of a Bayliner) sends their boats to the tests with minimal power to showcase the efficiency of their hulls.

WYRD
    I know that this is not in the same league but Chaparral (I know POS procudtion boat only 1 mil gel short of a Bayliner) sends their boats to the tests with minimal power to showcase the efficiency of their hulls.
    I think this is really so the hulls don't fall apart with too much horsepower :lightsabe :idea:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast