Thread: Will a Buzzard catcher work

Speedin' Ian
    I was talking with the guy that does my heads and he has a good friend that has a buzzard catcher for sale. Will this work on my motor? For those of you that don't know I am building a blown gas 540 with Brodix BB2's and a 671. I know I will need an adapter between the hat and blower, but other than that will I be o.k.? I plan on spinning the blower between 20-30% over for now and possibly upgrading to a bigger blower down the line. The guy with the hat said it will work better on a 540 than a Bird catcher and thought the drivability will be similar to the Bird catcher after I have Enderle flow it. What do you guys think?

Fiat48
    My thinking is too big especially for decent part throttle application but I would talk to Jim Enderle and see what he says. Personally I wouldn't do it and also the adapters are pricey.

blowngas
    don't think you would like the way it would work----would be sorta like putting a pair of 1100 cfm dominators on a small block----go with a bird setup---know of blown alky 468 running a bugcatcher on a 671 and it works great----I have a PSI f/c hat on a 468 and the birdcatcher worked better even using the same barrel valve

Fiat48
    I also think you should run that 540 with the 671 and you might be quite surprised at how much power it will have. Especially driving a flatbottom. Not sure what performance you are looking for but I have a felling you other motor never ran quite right. Ought to be 7 second territory which is a little quick for no capsule. Just food for thought.

Speedin' Ian
    You guys are right I am going to stick with a Bird Catcher, I think I'm going to order everything in the next week or two, finally got my heads sorted out so we are making progress!

Rock-it man
    You guys are right I am going to stick with a Bird Catcher, I think I'm going to order everything in the next week or two, finally got my heads sorted out so we are making progress!
    Don't do it I spent a lot of hours trying to make a bird catcher work,on a jet its ok ! but on a drive unit its way to fat just off idle and there is no idle circuit in it kills the motor when put in gear,would like to make a bird catcher work ,I just took mine off and went to two Demon 1295's as I needed 3300 cfm I know I will be a little low but EFI was just not dependable enough for me.

Speedin' Ian
    Thanks for the advice Rock-it-man but this is going in a drag boat, which I don't put in and out of gear, so driveability isn't a huge concern, I was more or less wondering if the buzzard would be different from the bird.
    BTW what type of power are you making with that motor of yours? My friend just put together a 572 with a PSI and two big as carbs, damn thing made 1372hp on 100 octane and he is pretty confident that it will make 1500 with a pulley change and some better fuel.

Rock-it man
    Thanks for the advice Rock-it-man but this is going in a drag boat, which I don't put in and out of gear, so driveability isn't a huge concern, I was more or less wondering if the buzzard would be different from the bird.
    BTW what type of power are you making with that motor of yours? My friend just put together a 572 with a PSI and two big as carbs, damn thing made 1372hp on 100 octane and he is pretty confident that it will make 1500 with a pulley change and some better fuel.
    If the motor has the right parts try 20 lbs boost,VP16 race gas,38 deg timing ,the coldest plugs you can get your dyno will say 1700 + hp if you can make those carbs flow 3000 or more cfm !!!! Try it you will like it !!!!!!!