Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Cover's

HammerDown
    I know this isn't jet related but...I'm looking to have a (new)custom cover made for my Daytona. I'm guesing Sunbrella is what it will be made of. So for the 750.00 + I'll be spending is this SunBrella materal water proof? And if so for about how long? Can it be retreated? There are some wires that run above where the boat sits, so yes birds will sometimes be taking a dump on this new cover.(making me nuts!!!) Will that harm the cover? I don't know much about Sunbrella materal...I hate to throw that kind of cash out and find out it lets water thru...Thanks for any info.

nitro557
    the material is good stuff we use it down here for all our canvas,have you canvas maker rubber back the canvas and it will be water proof,also only clean it ivory liquid and hot water never machine wash also 750 is a fair price for a custom cover thats about what we would charge

froggystyle
    One thing I always do with custom covers is go to West Marine and buy a generic Tyvek cover for your boat (There is a 22' Catamaran model that fit's the 19 Daytona perfectly and covers the jet) for $100. It is stark white, completely waterproof, and will only last a couple of years... but it will save your custom cover completely, and add one more layer of protection for the boat. I consider them sacreficial. (sp?)
    The other thing is, they are super easy to put on, just one bungee around the outside and they fold up into a wad the size of a small jacket. Saves you from sun, rain and bird damage.
    Squirts up.

Moomawnster
    Hammer ! I have the low $$$$ solution to birds on a wire , No not the shot gun ! though that would be more fun . Buy a roll of 10 mil black plastic , stretch it the length of the boat and cut it to shape about a foot or two bigger , roll a rope in the edge and sew with sail needle . Will last for years and it's 100% water and bird proof, Oh yeah , about 10$

TE081
    Ray....let me know when you are ready...I have a guy that does everyones covers for about 600 bucks. He does a great job! Originally posted by HammerDown:
    I know this isn't jet related but...I'm looking to have a (new)custom cover made for my Daytona. I'm guesing Sunbrella is what it will be made of. So for the 750.00 + I'll be spending is this SunBrella materal water proof? And if so for about how long? Can it be retreated? There are some wires that run above where the boat sits, so yes birds will sometimes be taking a dump on this new cover.(making me nuts!!!) Will that harm the cover? I don't know much about Sunbrella materal...I hate to throw that kind of cash out and find out it lets water thru...Thanks for any info.

HammerDown
    Thanks for all the feedback!
    Nitro, I'm aware of the vinyl backed Sunbrella...it doubles the cost to about 1,800 smakers!
    Froggystyle, I'll look into that tip...but I have a 21 Daytona with O.T. headers! I belive ya said it would fit a 19 Daytona.
    Moomawnster, also a good tip, I already use the 10 mil. plastic now under a blue poly tarp. However I did'nt think ya could sew thru it with out it just tearing away from wind flap.
    TEO81, thats a good offer, however is that a Sunbrella materal? And if so, back to my original question...dose it weep or wik water thru?
    I do have a old custom fit cover that no longer fits due to the motor and pump being set back, so I'm looking to address this problem asap...need it before and for the Anna event....Thanks again for the options.

sandblasted
    Originally posted by froggystyle:
    One thing I always do with custom covers is go to West Marine and buy a generic Tyvek cover for your boat (There is a 22' Catamaran model that fit's the 19 Daytona perfectly and covers the jet) for $100. It is stark white, completely waterproof, and will only last a couple of years... but it will save your custom cover completely, and add one more layer of protection for the boat. I consider them sacreficial. (sp?)
    The other thing is, they are super easy to put on, just one bungee around the outside and they fold up into a wad the size of a small jacket. Saves you from sun, rain and bird damage.
    Squirts up.
    I like your idea but if you are going to cover a $750 custom cover with a piece of white Tyvek doesn't it defeat the purpose of showing off your custom cover? why not just buy a Westland cover from Eddie marine for $215......
    I just bought one for my 21ft Ultra and it fits great. If I buy the Tyvek now I'm only into it for $315, saves me $$$ for gas and beer...

1quickjet
    IMHO, that sounds like a lot of $$. Sunbrella is excellent material. Shops out here will do that for $450-600. My .02 1QJ

froggystyle
    Originally posted by sandblasted:
    I like your idea but if you are going to cover a $750 custom cover with a piece of white Tyvek doesn't it defeat the purpose of showing off your custom cover?
    I didn't buy a custom cover to show it off.. I bought a custom cover to protect the boat I show off. I have a storage cover, and will be purchasing a towable cover soon because I seem to be a magnet for rainstorms while travelling, and while I am fundamentally opposed to towing with a cover on, I am even more fundamentally opposed to ruining an elaborate interior and audio system by driving it through summer squall mud/sludge on the roadway.
    All I am saying is, I am not showing off the cover. If he knows it is going to get it in the caboose from birds, the Tyvek is an awesome fix that fits well.
    Hammerdown... It should fit a 21 no drama. I went all the way back to the end of the pump on my 19' and I had a blown OT big block in it.

572Daytona
    Hammer I have a 21' Daytona with OT's and I have a generic cover for it. The cover came with the boat when I got it so I'm not sure of the make, but I would suspect as Froggy says that it is a pontoon boat cover. It is equal width front and back, i.e. it doesn't matter which side goes where and it doesn't cover the jet but it covers the rest of the boat nicely
    This is the only picture I could find of the boat with the cover on it, it's not a great shot of it but it kind of gives you the idea
    http://www.alltel.net/~jthieme/Dscn0255.jpg
    [This message has been edited by 572Daytona (edited May 09, 2002).]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast