Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "IP" address? I need to find one.

Keith E. Sayre
    I've been told that there is a way to locate someone posting on a website
    from some sort of address that comes with their message? I'm remembering
    someone calling it an "IP" address or something like that.
    As many of you may have seen recently, there is a thread about a deckboat
    that we recently built and someone using the name of kingof speed is doing
    his best to ruin this thread. I feel badly for the owner of the boat and I would like to know who is doing this. He's made tons of false statements which hurts the boat owners feeling, is talking bad about Dick Vale and his
    work and now has also degraded Conquest Boats.
    If someone could call me or email me or pm me with any info that will help me
    to identify this kingof speed person, I would greatly appreciate it. He's bitten off more than he chew. He just doesn't know it yet. Thank you.
    Keith SAyre
    928-680-1400

Jordy
    Keith,
    Check with HH or Rexone. They should be able to compare the ip of the offender and see who it matches up with.

welk2party
    I know Wes "Froggystyle" has hashed out an identity on here before.

Jordy
    I know Wes "Froggystyle" has hashed out an identity on here before.
    Froggy also had an in.

Tom Brown
    Keith,
    Send links to the posts in question to a moderator and request that they provide you with an IP address. From there, you have some options.
    They can make it difficult to figure out who they are but true anonymity is near impossible these days.

Panic Button
    IP's are only really good if the user has a static IP. If they use any type of dial up or AOL type service it changes each time they post. You would need a court order to obtain this from the big companies, on who actually logged in an was issued that address. Many times with different types of servers you can have multipal users with the same "real world" IP address.

Biglue
    Man this dude really pissed Keith off. Let us know what happens.

Tom Brown
    You would need a court order to obtain this from the big companies, on who actually logged in an was issued that address. Many times with different types of servers you can have multipal users with the same "real world" IP address.
    If someone is serious about pursuing slander - proxy, dial, and dhcp logs can be obtained. Tracking someone down is not particularly difficult, the ISPs have facilities to do just that. You have to be serious, though.

Tom Brown
    Man this dude really pissed Keith off.
    Yeah.
    Hey Keith, it could be worse. It's not like this guy cut you off in the channel, or something.

Panic Button
    If someone is serious about pursuing slander - proxy, dial, and dhcp logs can be obtained. Tracking someone down is not particularly difficult, the ISPs have facilities to do just that. You have to be serious, though.
    True, but very costly and time consuming...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast