Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giving my notice Monday.......

hoolign
    If you did 25 hrs a day here in Nor cal you would get rich. That would be about $180,000 a year here.
    Thats far from rich...comfortable!..but not rich

Racer277
    Kind of funny, but high end cars, and even many cars at the cruise in's don't really get my interest after being around all the boat motors. Anybody else notice this?? People get all oooh ahhhh about 4-500hp :sleeping:
    Right on, sounds like in your position, a move is the only way.
    But you are moving in the right direction!
    I'm kinda the other way on HP. I ooh and ahh over 65hp engines(really!), or 200hp in a litre. So these numbers and engines in boats just blow my mind!
    Good luck with everything.

HP350SC
    Right on, sounds like in your position, a move is the only way.
    But you are moving in the right direction!
    I'm kinda the other way on HP. I ooh and ahh over 65hp engines(really!), or 200hp in a litre. So these numbers and engines in boats just blow my mind!
    Good luck with everything.
    200hp in 1L is cool, turbo or rpm's to the moon?
    This job offer was my second choice. Patiently waiting for first choice to pan out. Won't know for 3-4 months. It requires relocation to CA. Can't discuss on forum though yet.

HP350SC
    Thats far from rich...comfortable!..but not rich
    I think i can make it work.... :redface:

Racer277
    200hp in 1L is cool, turbo or rpm's to the moon?
    A new streetbike with good headwork will now turn 200hp!
    The MotoGP guys are getting 250hp, and only one uses pneumatic valves. They just spin real fast! Oh, and they are loud...
    If you get a chance, check out Steve Matchett's: A Mechanics Tale (book).
    May be interesting as you are starting on them foreign cars.

ITS ALL GOOD
    congrats on the new job, I know what you mean about these jobs paying less and less every year but unfortunatley I have found that it is hard to find another job that starts at anywhere close to what I make in a year in a field other than automotive and with 20 years experience in the field I dont really know anything else. I wish I could make a career change, I would do it in a second, but at least it looks like you found a better situation so good luck

HP350SC
    congrats on the new job, I know what you mean about these jobs paying less and less every year but unfortunatley I have found that it is hard to find another job that starts at anywhere close to what I make in a year in a field other than automotive and with 20 years experience in the field I dont really know anything else. I wish I could make a career change, I would do it in a second, but at least it looks like you found a better situation so good luck
    Thanks, I started looking a couple months ago when I went home for a day with no work. Spent my 8 hrs. developing a resume and making contacts. It's never too late to look around....never know what you might find. :clover:

Perfect Mixer
    I know what you're going through. After 2 years I left a shop foremans position behind at BMW for a start at Porsche last week. It was a lateral move financially, but mentally it was definately a step in the right direction. The BMW shop I was in was a large store too (50 techs). Kinda nice being in a smaller more personal atmosphere. I was a little worried about changing brands, but I realized that cars are just nuts and bolts. When I started at BMW, I had never worked on a german car in my life. I'm not the quickest in the new shop, but I'm already 100% efficient after two weeks. Should be at about 16 flagged hours a day by the end of the month according to everyone around me. I agree, '96 was my best year in the industry. It's hard to believe that my first job (in 1988) as a tech, I was making $18 per flt/rt hour at an independant. They are starting guys at dealerships at less than that, more than 25 years later. And, the labor rates are twice as much to the consumer! Sorry, my rant is over. What's the worst thing that can happen? It sounds like you're a good tech. It's not hard for good techs to get good work. You just have to look.

HP350SC
    I know what you're going through. After 2 years I left a shop foremans position behind at BMW for a start at Porsche last week. It was a lateral move financially, but mentally it was definately a step in the right direction. The BMW shop I was in was a large store too (50 techs). Kinda nice being in a smaller more personal atmosphere. I was a little worried about changing brands, but I realized that cars are just nuts and bolts. When I started at BMW, I had never worked on a german car in my life. I'm not the quickest in the new shop, but I'm already 100% efficient after two weeks. Should be at about 16 flagged hours a day by the end of the month according to everyone around me. I agree, '96 was my best year in the industry. It's hard to believe that my first job (in 1988) as a tech, I was making $18 per flt/rt hour at an independant. They are starting guys at dealerships at less than that, more than 25 years later. And, the labor rates are twice as much to the consumer! Sorry, my rant is over. What's the worst thing that can happen? It sounds like you're a good tech. It's not hard for good techs to get good work. You just have to look.
    Glad to hear you're already at 100%. Yes the shops have slowly eroded the percentage of the labor rate we are paid. They have in their mind a certain amount they want techs to make, and they keep us there. Meanwhile your purchasing power goes down steadily. I can understand the cost of doing business going up, but not by that much of a margin.
    I asked what the quickest guy in the shop can do the Ferrari 30K and it was 3.5 days. That record will fall....hahah. It is amazing how efficient you become working flat rate. You hone your skills down to the least amount of movement more or less, there are several big jobs I could do blindfolded after all these years. :wink: Gonna have to put effort into this :2purples:

HP350SC
    Well, it went easier than I thought! Our service manager can be a real hothead, but he barely flinched when I told him I was leaving.
    Stopped by the Ferrari shop on way home, great bunch of guys and very friendly. I feel much better and think I made a good decision. Man I had some serious anxiety the last few days, but it's all good now!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast